Ciller, cold break questions?

Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:44 am

Quick question,

After my 90 min boil, I run the 11 G through my "thermonater'' and into two glass carboys. I do this about 10 min after flame out. IF I had a pump would there be a reason to pump the cooling wort back into the kettle to aid in cold break? With out a pump should I let it rest longer than 10 min before running threw the chiller?

Thanks
TimCA

Stay drunk, ..... Avoid the hang over!
TimCA

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:12 am

In general, you want two things. First, you want to cool the entire volume of wort as rapidly as possible. Second, you want to let it sit for 20 minutes or so to let the hot break, cold break, and hop particles settle to the bottom.

You can do all sorts of combinations of things. Some folks would just run out through the plate chiller into carboys and call it done. Some would do that, then rack to another carboy to get off the break material.

I recirculate the wort in the kettle, causing a whirlpool effect. When the desired temp is reached, I turn off the pump an let everything settle for 20 minutes. (All of this is done with the kettle covered.)

Once everything settles, I drain the clear wort into carboys.

I wrote up some stuff with pictures on my site if you're curious. http://www.mrmalty.com
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:24 am

I hope for your sake Jamil this works 8) . As I just sold my therminator to try your method :twisted: .

Bryan

p.s. I stated this thread to see if there were any tips out there..
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2587
rabeb25

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 am

I had a ChillZilla, and a Wort Wizard setup. It worked well but all the break ended up in the carboy and in the summer heat it did not get below 80f. Then one day recently I walked past the Wort Wizard and broke a piece of acrylic tubing necessary for it's functionality. I decided it was a good time to try Jamil's method.

I had a pump and immersion chiller already so all I had to do was fashion a really crappy return out of copper. I also used an aquarium pump and bucket full of ice once the wort got down below 100f or so. It works great and I'll never go back. ChillZilla for sale.

Rob
Speyedr

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:29 am

A clairification/general question on that tangent...

AFTER you cool the wort to where you want, you just let it sit for 20 minutes? Does this let any of the stuff you don't want get back into solution? For some reason I had always thought that as you were cooling fast, you get the cold break (I assume to be the stuff that looks like egg-drop soup), then as soon as it is at your temp you need to get it in a fermention vessel, or else the break would go back into solution... or something of that nature.

Am I all wrong and it stays all egg-drop soup at the bottom of the kettle? And how are you getting the wort out without getting that crud in? Just leaving alot of wort behind? I usually pour into my fermentor and leave 1/4 gallon behind.
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19 pm

You are wrong....
As long as your Wort stays at a cool temp the cold break will not disolve... you are thinking of chill haze... WAY DIFFERENT... the 20 minutes is for the cold break to settle out from the whirlpool.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks All for the help....

Jamil, so if I run the wort from the kettel threw the pump to the plate chiller back into the kettel til the temp is say 70F then let it sit for 20 min, then rack to craboys that would be good ???????? FYI I use a "hop stopper" in the bottom of my kettel.

Thanks all

Tim
]
TimCA

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:27 pm

bub wrote:You are wrong....

Tactful AND good-looking.
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets