Sanitization of March Pump

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:15 pm

I have PBW & Star San. I am open to input :!: :!: I new to pumping! I am set up to do 10 gal brewing, so I have to move lots of hot wort and water safetly. Thanks BN for all the help so far! :jnj
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Re: Sanitization of March Pump

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Just recirculate the boiling wort for a minute or two.
ChrisKennedy

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:48 pm

I make up some sanitizer (Idophor) in my HLT while waiting for the whirlpool to settle and pump that though my hoses and cfc. I need some anyway to sanitize my fermenters. I always got a lot of cavitation when pumping boiling wort, but either approach will work.

Afterwards i circulate hot PBW through everything to clean it out.
chopper

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 pm

ChrisKennedy wrote:Just recirculate the boiling wort for a minute or two.

Umm... typically you would want to do this for about 20 minutes. A minute or two ain't gonna get the job done. Just sayin'.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:14 am

I just rinse the pump out with clear water after I am finished. The last thing in it was "sterile" wort. On the next brew day I rinse out what little rinse water was left with fresh water and then pump away, I use a HERMS so it is pumping throughout the whole mash. From that point on everything will be boiled and sanitized as I use it in my whirlpool chiller. Rinse and repeat.
dshepard

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:39 pm

dshepard wrote:I just rinse the pump out with clear water after I am finished. The last thing in it was "sterile" wort. On the next brew day I rinse out what little rinse water was left with fresh water and then pump away, I use a HERMS so it is pumping throughout the whole mash. From that point on everything will be boiled and sanitized as I use it in my whirlpool chiller. Rinse and repeat.

so do you sanitize after your mash? because your mash is full of bugs, just forget to empty your mash tun for a few days.
LordUlrich

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:58 pm

When I sanitize my fermenters (all of which have a valve of some sort on them), I pump sanitizer from the fermenter through my wort chiller. Birds=2. Stones=1. :asshat:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm

BeerPal wrote:
ChrisKennedy wrote:Just recirculate the boiling wort for a minute or two.

Umm... typically you would want to do this for about 20 minutes. A minute or two ain't gonna get the job done. Just sayin'.

I typically do 40 minutes of CIP with StarSan or Saniclean at 120F-140F, but 5-Star says 30 seconds contact time is all you need.......
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing