Re: Considering Mash Tun Options.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:02 pm

I am in process of trying a new braid system. 2.375" diameter circular cross section stainless braid screen - two of these running parallel on the bottom of the cooler (52 Quart). I have had great success with 3 parallel Zymico screen based on 1/2" pipe thread dims. This will be based on a pipe thread reducer (PTR) from 2" to 1/2" then to the cooler bulkhead. Pics to come. Wrapping and securing the mesh screen may be difficult.

I fully believe in more screen area not less.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:24 am

Kbar wrote:Timmyr, do you recirculate much in the Boilermaker? I run a RIMS system, and my biggest struggle to date is the threat of stuck sparges. How does the Boilermaker work with constant high flow recirculation, if you do do that?

Thanks!

The only problem I have ever had is when my pump or Autosparge get finicky and I cannot keep the flow going. I do not remember the last time I had a stuck sparge of any kind. I use rice hull when I remember. I usually use a better than 3:1 water to grain ratio typically targeting 1.5-2.0 quarts/pound. Since I direct-fire my tun, I just have to be careful the pump does not have any issues when the flame is on.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

You can easily eliminate problems with the Autosparge by giving the seals on the piston part a light coat of keg lube, wiping off the excess with a paper towel and sanitize.

if
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 pm

gwk453 wrote:You can easily eliminate problems with the Autosparge by giving the seals on the piston part a light coat of keg lube, wiping off the excess with a paper towel and sanitize.

Good idea. I e-mailed John a long time ago and he told me my Autosparge was redesigned and I should just toss the gasket out. I have no gaskets on it now and get a little leakage thru the piston but its no big deal. I think I had it just barely still floating so it was closing the valve intermittently.

Thanks for the idea...the keg lube would've worked great I'll bet.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing