Fly vs Batch Sparging?

Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:12 pm

I am relatively new to homebrewing and I am seeking advice on the different methods of sparging the mash. I have heard that batch sparging can increase brewhouse efficency. What are the techniques that you use for those of you who are into all grain mashing on fully modified grains? I am using a "Zapap" home made lauter-tun made from a couple of 5 gal plastic buckets. What techniques for sparging would those of you in the forum use for this kind of system?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Know God and know peace, No God in your life, then perhaps no peace. Read Ecclesiastes 7:13-20

Cheers!
IroPino Doc
IroPino

Re: Fly vs Batch Sparging?

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:48 am

IroPino wrote:I am using a "Zapap" home made lauter-tun made from a couple of 5 gal plastic buckets. What techniques for sparging would those of you in the forum use for this kind of system?

That will depend on whom you ask. Such a system (true false bottom as opposed to manifold or SS screeen/braid) is suited for both batch and fly sparging.

I'd do batch sparging as it is known to be more reliable in terms of efficiency and takes less time. But eventually you will have to figure this out yourself.

Kai
Kaiser

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:45 am

Ok I'm gonna weigh in on this whole thing, NOTE THIS IS PURELY CONJECTURE AND OPPINION.
Everyone here is worried about efficiency... STOP IT. The good stuff is the stuff that comes out first, you will have higher concentrations of the good stuff and lower extraction of bad stuff. If it means adding another pound of grain or 2 to hit that gravity just do it it's like $2. The more you sparge the more likely that you will be extracting other crap, like Denny inferred. Do your batch sparge, only sparge 1x and modify your grainbill to adjust for it, this is what I will be doing in the future. Fly sparging was developed to get maximum efficiency, which is what you want IF you are selling the stuff, but if you want the BEST beer just batch sparge.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:33 am

I'm going to try both methods. While I was building my fly sparge set up I heard Denny talking about batch sparge thing. I went out and bought the braided hose that he talked about ( mine was 15 inches for over kill and to compensate for other things.) and installed it in my spare 5 gallon Gott cooler. Now I can do it both ways and see what is better for me. I already have a batch that I'm going to play with. I'll let you all know how it turns out. F the efficiency, I'm just going for what's easy.
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:16 am

Mine's bigger than yours, Brew_Bear! :D I have a 48" braid hooked to a tee in the bottom of a 52 quart rectangular cooler.

Yours should work just fine. In my experience, a shallower grain bed works a bit better for batch sparging. You will get more compaction with the skinny, deep bed in a drink cooler when you quickly drain the wort. Be sure to run the wort out slowly while doing your vorlauf so your grain bed can set up without compacting. Once you quit getting chunks flowing out you can slowly open up the drain to full bore and you shouldn't have any problems. If you use a cheap quality (thin SS wires in the braid), you will run some risk of the braid collapsing with larger grain bills and if you hit the braid too much while stirring.

Welcome to the lazy fraternity of batch spargers!

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to All Grain Brewing