Re: What do you do with your used grain? ?

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks, I will try this, I should be getting a bread machine next week or so.

grainman wrote:Here's my spent grain bread recipe for my bread machine....I save several freezer bags of the spent grain for this..........

Recipe for spent grain bread using bread machine

1.5 cups of spent grain (wet)
0.5 cups warm (~100 F) water
1 package (1 tablespoon) dry BAKERS yeast
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups flour
Dash of salt
………………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………..

1) add water
2) add salt
3) add 2 cups flour
4) add spent grain
5) add sugar
6) add 2 cups flour
7) add yeast in depression in flour
8) set bread machine to basic mode / dark setting….allow 3 hours to finish
Keg 1: White German Ale
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 90min I.P.A.
Keg 3: Saison
Fermenting:
1: Vanilla Porter
2: Vanilla Porter
3: Russian Imperial Stout
4: Russian Imperial Stout
5: White German Ale
6: White German Ale
7: Janet's Brown
8. Janet's Brown
Jase

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:53 am

I do the no-knead-overnight-dutch-oven style bread.

25 oz bread flour
3 c water
1 tbsp salt
0.5 tsp yeast

<6 oz other grains and stuff.

I add the spent grains to the water and use an immersion blender to blend it together. This helps by breaking up the hulls so that it doesn't have as husky of a texture. You can also add any number of other things to the mix... other grains, seeds, dried fruit, etc.

Mix it up in a large container and let it sit overnight, it will be sticky and 'shaggy'.

After 18 hours, turn it out on a floured surface, flour liberally and fold a few times. Cover with wrap and let rest 15 min. Put it in a floured bowl and cover with a kitchen towel 2 hours to rise. Make sure to flour everything well, as it will stick. Heat the Dutch Oven to 450, then dump the loaf into the hot oven, cover and bake for 35min. Remove cover and bake for another 20-30 min. Cool, slice, and enjoy your mouthgasm. Best bread texture you'll ever experience.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm

That sounds yummy, will have to give that a try.

spiderwrangler wrote:I do the no-knead-overnight-dutch-oven style bread.

25 oz bread flour
3 c water
1 tbsp salt
0.5 tsp yeast

<6 oz other grains and stuff.

I add the spent grains to the water and use an immersion blender to blend it together. This helps by breaking up the hulls so that it doesn't have as husky of a texture. You can also add any number of other things to the mix... other grains, seeds, dried fruit, etc.

Mix it up in a large container and let it sit overnight, it will be sticky and 'shaggy'.

After 18 hours, turn it out on a floured surface, flour liberally and fold a few times. Cover with wrap and let rest 15 min. Put it in a floured bowl and cover with a kitchen towel 2 hours to rise. Make sure to flour everything well, as it will stick. Heat the Dutch Oven to 450, then dump the loaf into the hot oven, cover and bake for 35min. Remove cover and bake for another 20-30 min. Cool, slice, and enjoy your mouthgasm. Best bread texture you'll ever experience.
Keg 1: White German Ale
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 90min I.P.A.
Keg 3: Saison
Fermenting:
1: Vanilla Porter
2: Vanilla Porter
3: Russian Imperial Stout
4: Russian Imperial Stout
5: White German Ale
6: White German Ale
7: Janet's Brown
8. Janet's Brown
Jase

Mon May 02, 2011 10:06 am

We have an old buddy who lives a couple blocks from the shop that has 2 goats and 4 chicken. He has a 30'x40' backyard in a pretty dense area south of downtown Indianapolis. Urban farming at its best! we brew a good bit of beer for the sample taps, and give him all the grain. Just put it outside in a tote, and if he sees it when he's driving home, he picks it up. Great system. I always felt bad before just throwing it out. Those goats love it.
slanted & enchanted

Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Just throw it over the back fence.

the cows love it :D
Kleiny

Wed May 04, 2011 8:15 am

Great in the compost, it does stink like others have posted and attracts a lot of flies. I also have a friend with a wormery and he feeds it to the red wigglers
EvansRdBrew

Wed May 04, 2011 1:17 pm

EvansRdBrew wrote:Great in the compost, it does stink like others have posted and attracts a lot of flies. I also have a friend with a wormery and he feeds it to the red wigglers

Yup, the wormies like it... I try not to give too much to mine at a time, don't want to through off their little ecosystem...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 am

Jase wrote:Doggie treats huh?

I'm not a fan of this. Dog's are not meant to eat grain, processed or not. On top of that, if you are hopping the mash you are feeding your dog something toxic to it.

I prefer to mix it in with fresh manure when it comes in and throw it in my garden.
ironkrausen

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing