Re: What do you do with your used grain? ?

Thu May 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Yes, you wouldn't want to use hopped grains for dog treats. Unless you are feeding your dogs all meat, they are likely eating grains... the majority of commercial pet foods are grain based.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri May 06, 2011 4:26 am

ironkrausen wrote:
Jase wrote:Doggie treats huh?

I'm not a fan of this. Dog's are not meant to eat grain, processed or not. On top of that, if you are hopping the mash you are feeding your dog something toxic to it.

I prefer to mix it in with fresh manure when it comes in and throw it in my garden.

If you want to get right down to it, wolves should have never been bred and domesticated into dogs. Stupid humans....
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/d ... 101.1.html
snowcapt

Wed May 11, 2011 3:39 am

Bread....lots and lots of bread!!
Blkandrust

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am

I will be baking bread with my next batch, just brewed 4 batches in two days and didn't really feel like saving any grain, so I gave all of that to friend's chickens.
Keg 1: White German Ale
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 90min I.P.A.
Keg 3: Saison
Fermenting:
1: Vanilla Porter
2: Vanilla Porter
3: Russian Imperial Stout
4: Russian Imperial Stout
5: White German Ale
6: White German Ale
7: Janet's Brown
8. Janet's Brown
Jase

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:16 am

Compost pile.
Grid
Gridiron Brewer

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 am

Hey idea here.

Next batch is probably a Berliner Weisse(would have been mashed today but I'm lazy). What about the grain from the sour mash, does it keep that tartness, can it make a good bread?
PFC BN Army Southeastern PA Division
http://www.barefootlionbrewing.blogspot.com
BarefootLion

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:02 pm

ironkrausen wrote: On top of that, if you are hopping the mash you are feeding your dog something toxic to it.

How come? I'm an uber rookie when it comes to brewing, but, aren't you supposed to hop the wort, AFTER getting rid of the grain? :?
A pessimist is a well informed optimist.
Inodoro Pereyra

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
ironkrausen wrote: On top of that, if you are hopping the mash you are feeding your dog something toxic to it.

How come? I'm an uber rookie when it comes to brewing, but, aren't you supposed to hop the wort, AFTER getting rid of the grain? :?

Hops are toxic to dogs. Yes you usually hop in the boil but you can hop in the mash, kinda like a pre first wort hop addition. I did that for the first time in my last batch and it turned out great, an APA. I've read about some company selling spent grain energy bars. I guess I could add some nuts and dried fruit and honey to my spent grains and make these. I think I'd rather spend my spare time focusing on planning, brewing and drinking more homebrew instead. I still throw all mine in the compost pile. The racoons and skunks love me.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing