Re: What's up with No Chill brewing?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 am

Eamonn wrote:I tried it and it worked well until the boiling wort deteriorated the cube and the beer tasted of burnt plastic. I don't think it's worth the risk.

I very much suspect you didn't have a robust HDPE container. I have run over 50 brews through my cube and the only thing it smells like is hops... I have never actully even heard (before) of anyone having a cube "become" rubbery/plasticy, but some people, including myself, get plastic taint from new cubes. Always soak them in boiling water and taste the cooled water.. When i cant pick it in a triangle test from boiled water cooled in glass - then i'll use it on my beer.

If your cube was made from something else, or perhaps you just got a bad one... But this experience is so far from normal that it might well be unique.

Not an off the wall or alternative method here in australia - hundreds of brewers and multiple award winners using this technique, as well a quite a number of commercial ventures selling craft brewery wort that is hot packed in exactly the same way.
Thirsty Boy

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 am

Waylit wrote:
beltbuckle wrote:I know the HPDE cubes I use have a big "NO BPA" sticker on them. Not to say that's the only threat of HDPE, but I think it is pretty safe.

Who did you buy your cube from?

7 gallon aquatainers, available at sporting good shops, walmart, etc.

PFC BN Army - 43rd Battalion Mashing Squadron
beltbuckle

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Thirsty - your probably right. I bought my blue cube from bunnings in perth, maybe not hdpe. Didn't bother trying another type. it's just hard to trust plastics - not all of them are up to scratch, which is inherently a risk.
Eamonn

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 am

beltbuckle wrote:
Waylit wrote:
beltbuckle wrote:I know the HPDE cubes I use have a big "NO BPA" sticker on them. Not to say that's the only threat of HDPE, but I think it is pretty safe.

Who did you buy your cube from?

7 gallon aquatainers, available at sporting good shops, walmart, etc.

I have that exact container . We use it for camping water. Is this one of the safe ones?
snowcapt

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:21 am

If it doesn't say HDPE then it's not the right kind. I got mine from Winco. $5 or so for 5 gallon. I got two of them. I drain hot wort from the kettle straight in, screw the lid on tight, leave it the coolest place I can find for a day or so, open the lid, cover with sanitized foil, crimp it around, viola a cheapass fermenter. No problems with the finished product other than I'm currently out.. And it's only 5 gallons.
-Niko-

BN Army Sergeant

"Samsonite?!?.. I was WAY off!" - Lloyd Christmas

Come get your hops and more! Low prices and $5 flat rate shipping on hops-only orders http://www.NikoBrew.com
NikoBrew

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:54 pm

straight cash homey wrote:link no worky.
i dont like this idea because you cant trap in the freshness of the 0 min addition

Im doing a no chill tonight, gall darnit!
Facilities- lacking
time- scarce.
JBA, no chill is in the wrks.
Thankee, spidey!
Also, I chose to quote this particular post, just so I could share straightcash's avatar.
MMMMMMMMM MMMM MMMMMM!
snowcapt

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Except quoting doesn't share avatars... you're welcome by the way.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing