Re: What's up with No Chill brewing?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:23 am

brewmatt wrote:So now I understand that if I No-Chill straight to a bucket for a next-day ferment I shouldn't seal it to prevent implosion. (I haven't done it yet, just taking everyone's word for it.)

Next question, if I "cube hop", do these hops need to be removed before fermentation to prevent grassy or veggie flavors?

Like I said above - I would use the lid you normally would for fermentation, put in a stopper and an airlock, stuff a cotton ball in the airlock and moisten it with vodka or ethanol or whatever. Or fit a sterile filter. Something to allow air into the bucket. But preferably not air that has any bugs in it.

The less headspace in your bucket - the less of an issue it is.

This is definitely one of the reasons I don't like No-chilling in this sort of container. Don't let air in - risk cracking bucket. Let the air in - risk infection.

Look, honestly - if you just make sure the bucket allows a little air in, it will be fine for a brew where you pitch the next day. But there is a minuscule risk. If you use a cube that can suck itself in without cracking, or that you have squeezed all the air out of in the first place - you have no issue at all.

I would remove the hops before the wort went into the fermenter. As I would if they were kettle hops. I usually put my cube hops in a bag inside the cube - but I have also had them in loose and just poured the wort through a sanitised hop bag on the way to the fermenter.

If you put them in loose - expect to get the same bittering from them that you would if you added them to the boil at 25-30min. If you put them in a bag - more like 20min. Once again - thats for pellets. Flowers would be different without the agitation of the boil.
Thirsty Boy

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:51 am

Thirsty Boy wrote:If you put them in loose - expect to get the same bittering from them that you would if you added them to the boil at 25-30min. If you put them in a bag - more like 20min. Once again - thats for pellets. Flowers would be different without the agitation of the boil.

Looking forward to the differences between a side by side doing an IIPA I'll do in a couple weeks, with someone using a CFC. I'll time the additions like you said.
-Niko-

BN Army Sergeant

"Samsonite?!?.. I was WAY off!" - Lloyd Christmas

Come get your hops and more! Low prices and $5 flat rate shipping on hops-only orders http://www.NikoBrew.com
NikoBrew

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 pm

I think I will give this a shot my next brew day... it would be great for allowing me to grab part of the wort for a starter and then pitch a few days later when the starter is rolling and the wort is chilled. It'll also allow for double brew days with only one fermenter.

Now off to find a 'cube'.
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:21 pm

beerdrinker wrote: It'll also allow for double brew days with only one fermenter.

A lot of guys who have and normally use chillers will do that - cube one and chill the rest. One for now, one for later - you can even pitch the second one on the yeast cake of the first.

It can be really handy if you are the sort of brewer who doesn't like to brew in the heat of summer or the cold of winter. Put in a big effort over a couple of weekends - and have half a dozen or more cubes pre-made to last you till the weather improves. Or for time poor people / busy parents - punch out 3 or 4 batches when you have a little time spare - ferment at your leisure.
Thirsty Boy

Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:39 pm

How long have you found a batch will last in the cube before it 'goes bad'? And I am assuming I should have some sort of a filter for the wort on the way to the cube?

THanks.
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:35 am

If you are careful with your process - it will last months. Beers made from 6 month old cubes are common, I have heard tell of good beers coming from cubes that were filled 12 months or more prior to fermentation.

Me - If its going to be more than a week or so, I try to keep the cube in the fridge. I treat a cube of beer as though it were a container of extract (which it sort of is) as cool as I am able, as stable in temp as I am able, out of the sun. I have fermented over 6 moth old wort for good fresh tasting beer... but I cant imagine that things are getting any better in the cube over time, fresh is best with extract and I hazard that cubed wort is the same.

None of that is with wort where I have added actual hops to the cube - I would be very hesitant to have the vegetable matter of cube hops in contact over the long term. I haven't tried - and therefore it might be perfectly alright - but until I hear from someone that I trust that it is alright.... I wouldn't store a cube hopped beer for a "long" time.

Filtering on the way to the cube -- some do, I don't. I whirlpool and try to leave behind as much kettle trub as I can, but that's it. But I would assume the cleaner the wort the better.. if you want to filter it into the cube, why not.

Warning on storing your wort -- and I suppose no-chill in general. If you notice that your cube is swelling after you have stored it, dump it out. Don't play with it, dont experiment to see if its OK, toss it. There exists a slim but theoretical chance that Botulism spores might grow in your no-chilled wort. So treat it like you would a can of beans that was swelled up...call it danger food and chuck it away.
Thirsty Boy

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:35 pm

Good Day, Here is a link to another forum on how to get REAL aroma and flavor hop additions for NO-CHILL brewing.

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=667

Tryed it, it works.
joshua2

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:35 pm

beerdrinker wrote:How long have you found a batch will last in the cube before it 'goes bad'? And I am assuming I should have some sort of a filter for the wort on the way to the cube?

THanks.

Echoing TB's comments above.

Furthermore, I have recently pitched a cube that was 18months old, with no issues at all. This cube spent some time inside, but mainly lived in a small shed out the back at home. It endured a summer heatwave of 10+ days at over 40deg C too.
Nevermore - Quothe the Raven
raven19

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing