Good turns to bad easily

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:23 am

I was brewing a couple days ago, and everything was going soo smooth. I had hit temps with in a degree, collected plenty of wort, gravities looked good, over all it was a good day. I hadn't brewed since Decemeber and was excited about the prospects of getting back into the brewing cycle.

As I finished my boil, I noticed I had just under 6 gallons of wort in my kettle, I was thinking this is working out. So, I turn the chilling water on and relax with a beer, thinking since its been cool it wont take long for my wort to be cool enough, 20 min later I check temps and notice I now have almost 8 gallons of wort. My chiller leaked water from my garden hose into the boil kettle.

I figured I got nothing to lose at this point, 5.5 gallons went into my prepared fermenter, and the rest went into a hasty sanitized fermenerter, I then topped this off with water and dumped some blueberry flavoring in there too(..what the heck). Its always a good thing to have dry yeast on hand cause the second batch got the dry nottingham.

This was not really a wasted day, Unless I get little infection looking thingies in there. (I guess I could have put half a carboy of sanitizer in there to make sure that didnt happen.) :shock: :D :lol:
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:19 am

That sucks dude..

You could have boiled for 10 - 15 minutes (of course, GETTING back to boil takes a while) and that would kill the nasties...

Of course, you've got potential there.. "Sean's Blueberry Nasty"... or "Garden Hosed", or how about "HOSED Garden"?? This isn't a wheat beer is it?

Seriously though, what was OG after the addition of "top off" water?

Good luck..
Speyedr

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:16 am

I would have cried like a little bitch. Then done what you did. Sucks. Good luck.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:38 am

i didnt even check the OG..Didnt want to know..lol

It will make beer im sure..the question is how good of beer
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:27 pm

That same exact thing happened to me a few months ago while brewing outdoors. Turns out it was so cold outside some ice formed inside the exit hose of my immersion chiller and the increased pressure caused a leak which ended up in my wort. I was shooting for an 1080 IIPA and ended up with just an 1050 IPA instead. I was quite concerned like you however, it turned out to be one of my best IPA's ever, go figure. Now how do I repeat that recipe :wink:
BrewDude

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:45 am

It'll probably turn out amazing and you'll never be able to recreate it. Isn't that how those batches always go??? :)
Jon H.
Nashville, TN
jhicker

Return to All Grain Brewing