Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:08 pm

stupid triple posts
Last edited by seanhagerty on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:08 pm

Really stupid triple posts
Last edited by seanhagerty on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanhagerty

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:15 pm

Ahhhhh, how cool is that. Thanks Sean

Chooch
Big Chooch

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:15 pm

Big Chooch wrote:This may be a stupid question, but what is this that you speak of? This conversion test.

This "conversion test" is something more brewers need to have not heard of. This involves taking a tiny bit of wort and dropping some iodine solution into it. The color change will supposedly tell you whether there are still unconverted starches in the solution, i.e. whether you still need to run the mash a little longer.

The problem is that this is a very unreliable test as there will almost always be some unconverted starches present no matter how long you mash. I believe it was Charlie Papazian in his classic Complete Joy of Homebrewing (anyone want my copy cheap?) that got this test popularized along with many other wrong ideas about brewing procedures.

Now that you know what it is, you should now pretend that no such test exists. Hope this satisfies your curiousity.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah, I skipped that book. I went straight to Home Brewing 4 Dummies, mainly because I'm a dummy!! Now I've got designing great beers coming in the mail.

I thought were not supposed to speak in such a tone about Papazian, though. Isn't that some kind on sacrilege? LOL

Are there other, more accurate, ways to tell if you have adequate starch conversion?

Thanx,

Chooch
Big Chooch

Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:52 am

I don't see any need for the conversion test. I might have tried it in Speyedr's case, but I wouldn't use it regularly. If you mash anywhere near the right temp for the right times you will get conversion.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Yes, (for once in his sorry life) Lufah is right. I don't make a habit of doing a conversion test. If you have the right temps, it should happen, so no need to check on it. Only in extraordinary circumstances would I use it.

Sean

seanhagerty

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:42 am

Thanks for all of the input. I have done these "Conversion tests" as you call them in the past, but did not consider it this time. It may have been the ONLY time would would have been a good idea, but oh well..

I racked today as fermentation had slowed. It is at 1.017 with an OG of 1.053. Not bad. This recipe usually gets down to 1.012 or so, so there are residual unfermentables in there. Tasted a bit astringent (high heat?) but it was cloudy with yeast too. Will condition for 3 weeks before kegging... Will keep you posted...

Rob
Speyedr

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing