Re: Starter vs pitching 2 vials

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Yeah, me too. I was just doing the 3.3 lbs for $12 math. I just usually cut just the corner off, seal it up with a binder clip, and put the whole thing in a bigger ziplock bag. No issues with moisture - but then again - I can leave a bag of chips in a bowl on the counter for a week (well, not a chance that they would last that long with 2 kids - but theoretically) without going stale.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:41 pm

linuxelf wrote:Jamil's pitch rate calculator tells me I need either 2.4 vials, or 1 vial and a 1l starter. But I remember reading somewhere that anything less than 2l, and you're not really going to get cell growth, so I'm not sure I'd really get near the required 2.4 vials by just using 1 vial and a 1l starter.

I think when you read that you need 2L to get growth (i.e. double it) they're assuming intermittent shaking, and not a stir plate. Since you use a stir plate, 1 vial in 1L should be sufficient.

As to storing leftover DME, I put mine in gallon zip lock bags and don't have any problem. Just squeeze out as much air as you can, and RDWHAHB.
siwelwerd

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:08 am

linuxelf wrote:But here I am, 29 hrs after pitching 2 vials of yeast, and there's absolutely no activity at all in there.

Any activity yet?
bashcraft

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Yes, thank :asshat: . After about 34 hrs, I'm seeing bubbles. This is definitely the last time I'll go without a starter. The convenience of pitching two vials doesn't make up for the stress of waiting 2 days for activity.
-- Steve

Kegged: "Old Nimrod" American Barleywine
Kegged: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
linuxelf

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:50 pm

I often pitch two Wyeast smack packs, with very good success. I wouldn't completely rule out the practice, but if you have the time for a starter, I'm not discouraging you from that either.

The nice thing about the smack pack, is you get a good idea how viable the yeast is by the expanding package.
Capt. Pushy, BN Army Corps of Engineers
(not to be confused with Push E.)

Building a Better World Through Beer
Brew Engineer

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:37 am

Wow, this thing has meandered more than me after a good brew day. Let my bloviate for no apparent reason.

1. I brewed a witbier Saturday and had relatively fresh smackpack. After discussing with the naked brewer, he recommended just pitching the pack versus mrmalty rec. of a 1 liter, because... well because of the same reasons listed above. He had read 'somewhere' on the malty website that a 1 liter starter was useless and was just a means to piss the yeast off. I toured mrmalty again, and ran the numbers again and decided to grow a pair and follow mrmalty. I prepped my yeast Friday afternoon, brewed Saturday, and pitched near midnight. Sunday Morning I had 1.5 inches of creamy head and the airlock gurgling like a thirsty brewer. I received a note Sunday morning from my brew bud saying that his research about the 1 liter starter came up empty and to do the starter anyway...

B. Storage. living here in the armpit of the Ozarks, it can get a bit muggy. I didn't think having a semi-sealed bag of DME laying around would be a good thing. My answer is Mason jars. I open the DME and measure what I want and pour the rest into a clean and dry quart mason jar. I keep it sealed, but don't throw in the fridge/freezer. I read 'somewhere' that the cold isn't good for the DME and makes it clump up???

3. I have been buying a new bag-o-yeast each time I brew. I make the starter, I pitch the yeast, I rack the beer, I dump the remains on the ground. I know - what a waste. Since I have a few traditional brews that I like, and keep on hand, I am going to dump the remains into mason jars and repitch, or cultivate starters from the fresh yeasties. I'll admit it - I'm a little slow...

D. I will never pitch a bag-o-yeast again. It's starter or nothing.

5. I think the bag/tube of yeast advertises 100 billion viable yeast cells, a 1 liter starter will give you... Oh hell, I'm sorry Mr Malty

Pitching a Wyeast Activator pack gives the following results within 12 to 18 hours:

1 liter starter = about 150 billion cells
2 liter starter = about 200 billion cells
1 liter starter, then pitched into 4 liter starter = 400 billion cells
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid.
BN Corporal
Ozark Regiment of Mounted Riflemen
Jhwk

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing