how much wheat is too much? when to add hulls?

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:54 pm

brewing jamils american rye recipe tomorrow. just realized i forgot the rice hulls.
this beer is just over %50 wheat and rye.
if i do a beta glucanase rest, can i get around having to use hulls?

thanks,
Masta Beta Glucaneta
monstersandpie

Re: how much wheat is too much? when to add hulls?

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:28 pm

I made a beer last weekend with:
50% 2 row
12% raw wheat
12% bulgur wheat
12% flaked rye
12% flaked oats
2% Vienna

I had no rice hulls, so I made some barley hulls. Rough crush of a lb or so of 2 row, then sifted out the flour and just used the husks to line the bottom of the mash tun. Did a beta-glucan rest, mashed out to keep things flowing, so i figured I would be just fine. i figured wrong. i will never, ever try that recipe without rice hulls again.

My mash tun uses a CPVC manifold as a filtering device. It works great on every other beer, but not this one. if you are using a different device you may have better results.
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:45 pm

I just made a 50% rye beer yesterday. I used a half pound rice hulls for the 3 gallon batch. It worked out splendidly, I have never had a runoff or sparge that was so easy. I've done gluconase rests before and they don't work nearly as well as rice hulls.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:22 pm

I did a dunkelweissen a couple months back that had 80% wheat of various types. Only used about 1/4# rice hulls. Had no problems sparging. A bit slower than normal but no sticking. This is batch sparging in a rectangular cooler with hose braid.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:57 pm

I did a double decoction with JZ's Roggenbier recipe which is 50% rye. Already a long brewday - I didn't want to do a mashout. Sparged for 15 min after which the mash turned into a solid plug. I did have a pound of rice hulls in there - to no avail. Thankfully things loosend up when I filled the mash tun the rest of the way with boiling water and did a mashout.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Return to All Grain Brewing