I can't win...

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:42 pm

Wouldn't you know it? The very week that I get both a chest freezer and a ranco digital controller - we get a cold snap. It's less than 50 degrees in my garage. I know, I know - I can almost hear Crut telling me to cry him a couple of icycles. He probably has to keep his car on an engine block heater.... But I live in freakin' Arizona! It rarely gets this cold here. Consequentally, I bought a single stage controller. :x I guess I'll be doing lagers for a few months...

Well here's the quandry. I planned on brewing a Cali common tomorrow - using Papazian's Cry Havoc. Correct me if I am wrong - but what give it its distinctive taste is the fact that you use lager yeast at ale temps....

Should I - a) put a small lamp (always on) in the freezer to raise the temp - and then plug the freezer into the control to bring it down to 65, b) plug the lamp into the controller in heat mode (freezer unplugged), or c) just ferment it at 50? If I go with option "a", I need to pick a small wattage bulb - since I won't be turning it on and off. I just need to raise it about 15-20 degrees. Maybe a small wattage is the best - like 25-40 watts... What do you guys think?

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 pm

I'd go with option A with a small appliance bulb (40W). Basically the one that goes in the fridge. That should work fine. Then I'd get a beer and go watch the meter spin! :lol:
BadRock
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Dude, roll down to Petco and buy a reptile heater. It's like 20-30 bucks and works like a charm. Just plug it in and forget it. When it gets too warm in the chest freezer, your temp controller will kick on. Plus you don't have to worry about the "light" from the lamp.

Problem solved. You owe me a sixer.
Gucci Pilot

Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:25 pm

Gucci Pilot wrote:Dude, roll down to Petco and buy a reptile heater. It's like 20-30 bucks and works like a charm. Just plug it in and forget it. When it gets too warm in the chest freezer, your temp controller will kick on. Plus you don't have to worry about the "light" from the lamp.

Problem solved. You owe me a sixer.

That's probably the best option. I'm going to need one anyway when I turn this freezer into "the mothership" (serving/fermenting fridge). I assume that they put off less heat then a bulb. Alright, you and BR are the first two on my personal list of BN "virtual tasters" in the next two months.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:22 pm

Cry me a couple Icicles :wink: :lol: :lol:

the small appliance option sounnds like the best pla, or at least to me.
Oh yeah and we're getting dumped on with snow right now. Brichards is probably getting more though. I can send ya a snowball if ya like
Let us know what you decide.
They call me Crut
**BREW STRONG**
I brew for schnitz and giggles
Corporal in the BN Army
Brewer for Shorts Brewing in Bellaire MI
Crut

Return to Fermentation