Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:01 am

Hello everyone.
I am making a stout. It has been in primary for 9 days. The OG is 1.079 and as the subject says, I used the Wyeast 1728 yeast. It has a 69%-75% attenuation and suggested fermentation temp is 55-75*, which I have been fermenting at 66*. I made a 2000ml starter with yeast nutrients on a stir plate and used an aquarium pump for 30 with a hemp filter for 30 after the wort was down to 67*. I have been checking my gravity and it appears to have stopped. I have a chest freezer with temp control so I set the temp to about 70*, still under recommendations. I also swirled up my carboy to get the yeast back into solution, but there are now bubbles coming out of the airlock, probably the yeast fell back out and/or it is still at 66*. What else can I do?
Thank you in advance. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Member of the BN ARMY.

Nothing like a pint to hold you over to the next one, that's what I always say!
Garrete

Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:27 am

Just what is your gravity right now? Depending on your recipe (is this an extract batch?), this beer just may finish out at around 1.020-1.023.

The bubbling you are seeing right now is most likely CO2 coming out of solution as a result of rousing the yeast. At low fermentation temperatures like you are using the yeast will work more slowly so I would let it go for at least another week. Since the fermentation is mostly done, raising the temp to 70° is no problem at all and may speed things up a bit. I would also advise against racking it yet (if at all) and wait at least 3 weeks from brew days to bottling.

Your process looks great and I wouldn't change it for future brews. I also ferment most of my beers in the mid to low 60's. All you need is some more patience.

Merry Christmas

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:27 am

(I knew I forgot to add something)
Right now the FG is 1.041 and that is only 48% attenuation. That is why I started to worry. I know... I know... RDWHAHB. :lol:
Member of the BN ARMY.

Nothing like a pint to hold you over to the next one, that's what I always say!
Garrete

Return to Fermentation