Re: Expired sour yeast

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:30 am

jamie in the past wrote:Will fermenting it out not take a while with the bugs.

Not sure what you are asking/saying here?

Ill give it a swirl when i get home. How will will i know when its done bar taking a hydro will it clear or do i just leave it for a week then chill and decant then add more wort and let it go decant and pitch simples.

As for the lacto, a good 5-7 days around 95-100F should be enough to let it ferment out. No stir plate, use an airlock. You most likely will not see much activity (if any), but should start to observe some "dusty" bacteria layer on the bottom of the starter container.

Should the brett follow the same regime or just give it 1L of 1040.

Thanks jamie[/quote]

Not sure what size the package is? If it is a WYeast size, a 1 Liter starter is sufficient. If it is a WLabs vial size of brett, then I would start with 1 L, let if ferment out, chill, decant and pitch a 2 Liter starter on top of it.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:37 pm

I've tried starting brett a couple of ways and got the best results from shake aeration, pitching, then leaving it alone for 6-7 days. Then I pitch the whole thing.
Klickitat Jim

Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:15 am

Its a white labs/yeast bay vial. Do i have to go as big as a 2L starter as im going into a secondary fermentation.

Jamie
jamie in the past

Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:34 am

I recently did a couple of saisons that didn't finish as dry as I wanted so I direct pitched Brett, no starters, and they worked out just fine.
Klickitat Jim

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Klickitat Jim wrote:I recently did a couple of saisons that didn't finish as dry as I wanted so I direct pitched Brett, no starters, and they worked out just fine.

+1. If its only for secondary then you don't need a starter at all. Just sanitize and pitch the vial as is (shaken up of course first).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation