Aging in kegs?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:00 am

I just put my sours in kegs to age. Should I lay them on there side?
norfire0

Re: Aging in kegs?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:44 am

Are the kegs full and if not purged with c02? If they are then it shouldn't really matter. If there is plain old air in the tops of the kegs and you put them on their sides then you increase the surface area exposed to air, which will lead to faster staling.

If you leave them upright then the particulate matter that is in the beer will settle out with time. If you leave them on their sides, when you go to serve the beer and flip the keg upright then everything that has settled out will go back into solution.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:28 am

There is no benefit whatsoever to laying a keg filled with sour beer on its side for aging. Simply purge the headspace to seat the lid and let it age that way.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 am

I did purge kegs befor and after filling with c02. I was thinking that if the kegs are laying down the yeast will be in contact with more beer. I am developing the beverage. I plan to bottle condition and want Brett in the bottle because I plan to set some aside for years ( I hope). I worry if I lay the keg down somthing may leak.
norfire0

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:18 am

If the kegs are pressurized there is no reason they should leak. The yeast is in suspension throughout the beer, so putting a keg on its side isn't going to give the yeast more contact.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:08 am

Thank you
norfire0

Return to Fermentation