Yeast beyond best by date

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Is it still good to use a vial past the best by date? I plan to use a starter to grow it up in, but I am curious if the best by date actually makes a difference. I just picked up a vial of 007 to fix a stuck ferment and when I got home, I realized it is about a month past the best by date. Am I right to assume my HBS should not have sold the vial in the first place?
Buttchinbrew

Re: Yeast beyond best by date

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:56 pm

I've used old yeast packs in a starter with no problem. I know others not as lucky. You may want to do a 1L starter then pitch the yeast from it into a larger starter.

I think the HBS shouldn't have sold it to you unless they advertised it as past the date and sold it at a discount. Hopefully the vial has been handled and stored well.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:19 pm

I have not had good luck with using expired white labs vials. Even when attempting to step them up slowly. I cannot say the same for Wyeast though. If I was trying to unstick a stalled ferment I probably would not use an old vial though. Fresh is best when you need some serious work done.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:01 am

I would just go back to the lhbs if it is not too far away and ask for a replacement
Stinkfist

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:12 am

Thanks for the help. I'm still pretty new to this, so I appreciate the advice. I went ahead and made a starter with the vial anyway just to see if it gets going. I'll keep you posted.
Buttchinbrew

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:28 pm

A month may not be that bad, but do you know how well it was handled at the LHBS?
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm

TheDarkSide wrote:A month may not be that bad, but do you know how well it was handled at the LHBS?

Exactly...
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation