Sour beer yeast cake questions

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:49 am

So I pitched the Roslaire blend into beer.
I added bottle dregs from my favioret sour beers. The beer is tasting like it's ready.
So can I just put new beer or wort on my yeast cake?
When the Rosiclare blend was pitched The beer was clear and free from brewers yeast. So the cake is just the Brett with bugs and critters. Or do I need to do something befor repitching?
norfire0

Re: Sour beer yeast cake questions

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm not sure I understand. You fermented a beer with roaslair and bottle dregs? If so, you do have ale yeast in the cake. Roaslair 3763 contains an ale yeast, a couple strains of Brettanomyces and 2 Lactic acid bacteria.

But as long as the cake is fresh I think it's safe to use. If it's not fresh, I'd add fresh yeast and a cup or so of yeast slurry.
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:I'm not sure I understand. You fermented a beer with roaslair and bottle dregs? If so, you do have ale yeast in the cake. Roaslair 3763 contains an ale yeast, a couple strains of Brettanomyces and 2 Lactic acid bacteria.

But as long as the cake is fresh I think it's safe to use. If it's not fresh, I'd add fresh yeast and a cup or so of yeast slurry.

And pedio I'm pretty sure
Klickitat Jim

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:14 am

Primary fermentation was wlp002. I keged and carbed, then said to my self I can't drink this because 002 flocked during a cold spell and the gravity stuck at 1.020 with an intended FG of 1.010.
So I transferred to a carboy and pitched The Roslaire blend. ...so the yeast in the carboy is just bottle dregs and Rosalie blend. It's been about a year. gravity is 1.009
I am thinking I just want to put fresh wort in and see what happens. If I am right the bugs and critters will pick up and not be affected by the long storage. I have not checked ph yet.
norfire0

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:20 am

norfire0 wrote:Primary fermentation was wlp002. I keged and carbed, then said to my self I can't drink this because 002 flocked during a cold spell and the gravity stuck at 1.020 with an intended FG of 1.010.
So I transferred to a carboy and pitched The Roslaire blend. ...so the yeast in the carboy is just bottle dregs and Rosalie blend. It's been about a year. gravity is 1.009
I am thinking I just want to put fresh wort in and see what happens. If I am right the bugs and critters will pick up and not be affected by the long storage. I have not checked ph yet.

I bet you are right, there are still a lot critters in there. I'm not sure if they all survive, but brett and some acid producing bacteria definitely does.

I'm on my third year(forth generation) of repitching, originally roeselare i believe. I use fresh saccharomyces, a cup'ish slurry from the previous batch, and maybe occasional bottle dreg.
Bad Goat Brewing

Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:19 pm

I agree with Bad Goat. Your slurry amount is probably fairly small in the secondary containing the Roselare blend. Brew up your next batch, add a bit of ale yeast of your choice (belgian strains work well here), and pitch about a cup or so of the Roselare slurry after packaging your first batch.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:11 am

I would imagine you could just add wort. Or else all these solera guys are just pulling our leg
Klickitat Jim

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Klickitat Jim wrote:I would imagine you could just add wort. Or else all these solera guys are just pulling our leg

Heh, heh...good point! Although soleras are usually done on a much larger scale (barrel) which might increase the wort to yeast cake volume contact. Put I am sure it would work just fine as you said.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Fermentation