Belgian yeast questions

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm

I just want to see what you guys think,, I may be way off base, but it makes sense to me. I am gonna brew 11 gallons of Belgian golden strong from BCS. I am cheap and don't want to buy all of the liquid yeast that the recipe calls for. Plus my LHBS only had one pack of Wyeast 1388 (prod. date 7/15/14). Soooooo...my plan is to use the 1 pack of 1388 and make a 1.75 liter starter (stir plate) and supplement that with 2 packs of Safebrew T-58 (re-hydrated). The OG should be around 1.056 before I add the table sugar (6#) which I expect to add somewhere between day 1 & 3 of fermentation. That should be the equivalent of about 1.082 OG.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Belgian yeast questions

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:15 am

I think this sounds like a fine plan. The T-58 has a slightly lower tolerance for alcohol, but you won't be going terribly high, only ~9%, and the 1388 will cover its butt. I think you're good.

Alternatively, why don't you just do a two-step starter of the 1388, from 1.75 liters to like 5-6 liters on the second go-around? Then you don't even need to waste the T-58, unless you are in a hurry, since it would probably take ~4 days to do a good two-step starter.

When you do pitch into your 11 gallons, ensure your temperature is down to the 64 F specified for best results, and keep it there for a day or two.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:41 am

dmtaylor wrote:Alternatively, why don't you just do a two-step starter of the 1388, from 1.75 liters to like 5-6 liters on the second go-around? Then you don't even need to waste the T-58, unless you are in a hurry, since it would probably take ~4 days to do a good two-step starter.

Thats what I was going to ask. this is the calculator i usually use:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:03 am

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:
dmtaylor wrote:Alternatively, why don't you just do a two-step starter of the 1388, from 1.75 liters to like 5-6 liters on the second go-around? Then you don't even need to waste the T-58, unless you are in a hurry, since it would probably take ~4 days to do a good two-step starter.

Thats what I was going to ask. this is the calculator i usually use:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

+1 for that yeast starter calc. It's way better than mr malty.
unsteadyneddy

Return to Fermentation