Re: Is this normal?

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am

I'm kind of doubting it was. It was on the warm end of the range, maybe even a bit too warm, for 2112 but I didn't make a starter. Should have, in retrospect. Wyeast says 2112 should be 58-68 deg F and it was all of that, maybe even 70 deg. I thought too warm would produce esters, which I'm fine with even if it's not "to style".
Foxhill

Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:49 am

Well the powerful sulfur never left so I tossed the batch. Currently, I'm doing what I should have done the first time:
big pitch of yeast, good oxygenation using pure O2 and fermenting at 50 deg F using Wyeast Bohemian Lager

Wish me luck
Foxhill

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:47 am

Ahhhh....Well done! Sometimes mistakes help us learn the most about brewing. Lord knows I have made plenty of those!

Good Luck and be patient! Please report back with your results....
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Brewed on Dec 26th, checked the gravity this evening and it's 1.022. There's still some suspended yeast and it tastes mildly of sulfur, but nowhere near as bad as the last batch. Brewsmith predicts my FG to be 1.019 so I'm going to move it to a warmer area for a diacetyl rest and to let it finish up. I'll probably leave it warm for 10 days or so and then start lagering. Since this is my first true lager, would you people mind chiming in to let me know if I'm on the right track?

Thanks
Foxhill

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:23 pm

That sounds about right. I usually start bumping up my temps when I see the krausen start to fall back into the beer. That lets me know the yeast are done with the "raging" part of their fermentation. I would think you could get away with warmer temps for about 7 days, but 10 days will not hurt it. Let your nose/tastebuds be your guide to determine when your diacetyl rest is done.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:52 pm

Should I rack it to a clean carboy before I start lagering?
Foxhill

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:14 pm

I do.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu May 14, 2015 9:43 am

So, I fermented and lagered the second batch. It was ok, but still some sulfur. SOOOO I went out and purchased a stir plate and flask so next time I can be sure I have a proper pitch of yeast. I hope this works because I don't know what else I can do if it doesn't.... except maybe stick with ales.

Any ideas?
Foxhill

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation