Re: Is this normal?

Sun May 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Precise temp control is not absolutely necessary. But, (analogy warning) if you want to consistently hit fairways and greens and pars all day, you really need a bag full of clubs not just a 7 iron.
Klickitat Jim

Mon May 18, 2015 4:31 pm

OK. 6 gal of wort 1.064 wort, oxygenated with pure O2, big pitch of yeast from stir plate. Here goes.......
Foxhill

Tue May 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Klickitat Jim wrote:Everyone has a way of running their lagers that they feel is best. Take it or leave it, here's my way. Chill your wort to 48º, then oxygenate well, then pitch the appropriate amount of fresh healthy yeast, then every day raise the temp by one degree until you get to 68º. Dont remove it from the yeast until you reach terminal gravity and detect no diaetyl. At that point chill it to 30º. Then fine it with gelatin. Leave it alone for at least 3 days before racking to a keg or your bottling bucket.

Why chill then oxygenate? Because colder liquids will absorb more oxygen
Why 48º? Because my target starting temp is 50 and I prefer to pitch below that
Why one temp per day? Because most of the temp related undesirable fermentation flavors occur in the first few days. Upping it by one degree per day from 48 means it will have ten days below 58.
Why stop at 68? Because you can get rid of diacetyl at about 62-65, but my hydrometer is calibrated to 68, so why not?
Why chill it to 30º? Because cold is good for dropping particulates, and conditioning beers, and I want to fine the beer as cold as I can get it. Unless its only like 1% ABV it wont freeze.
Why fine? Because I dont want any yeastiness in my lagers, and in my opinion lagers should be brilliant.

Good luck

Pretty much what I do too, except I leave it fermenting at 48-50F for about 5-6 days or until the initial primary fermentation just starts to slow down, then I ramp the temps about 3-4 degrees per day until I hold for a diacetyl rest.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:38 am

Success! :jnj

The big pitch of yeast did the trick. My ferment was clean, no diacetyl and no off-flavours. Thanks everybody for all your help and input.
Foxhill

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Well done sir! Now keep that process in your bag of tricks every time you prepare to brew a proper lager.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation