11 Gallon yeast Starter Best Approach

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 pm

So I brew 11 gallon batches and split into two 6.5 gallon carboys. I have stir plate and a 5 liter Erlenmeyer.

I will start by saying that I am familiar with mr.malty and brew friends yeast calculator. I am purely seek what anyone who brews 11 gallons batches does for their starter that has had success and i also have a couple of questions.

1. I would like to get away with 1 liquid pack or should i be using 2 liquid packs?

2 If i use 1 pack can I make one big 4.5 liter starter? or Should i use 1 and do a step starter? How do you do your step starter?

Thanks in Advance, Hope this makes Sense.
omega3

Re: 11 Gallon yeast Starter Best Approach

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 pm

omega3 wrote:So I brew 11 gallon batches and split into two 6.5 gallon carboys. I have stir plate and a 5 liter Erlenmeyer.

I will start by saying that I am familiar with mr.malty and brew friends yeast calculator. I am purely seek what anyone who brews 11 gallons batches does for their starter that has had success and i also have a couple of questions.

1. I would like to get away with 1 liquid pack or should i be using 2 liquid packs?

2 If i use 1 pack can I make one big 4.5 liter starter? or Should i use 1 and do a step starter? How do you do your step starter?

Thanks in Advance, Hope this makes Sense.

Lots of ways to do it. I usually just use one pack and two step starter if I need the extra yeast. The last beer I brewed was a blonde ale at 1.050 This is what I did get to my target of .75ml per degree plato.
1.5L strater in 2L flask for 48 hours
crashed for 12 hours
Decanted and put a 5L flask with 4L of Wort for 48 hours
cold crashed for 12 decant and pitch
I used bud light to rinse the last of the yeast from flask. You could mix it and divide it in two though
Bad Goat Brewing

Re: 11 Gallon yeast Starter Best Approach

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks man!

Thats exactly what i was asking. This clears up a lot of my suspicions about what i was doing.

Thanks Again.

If anyone else has any suggestion they are still welcome, im interested to here more!
omega3

Return to Fermentation