Wine Fermentation Question

Sun May 04, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm a beer brewer at heart, but have decided to test out a wine kit. I just moved and most of my gear is in storage and Costco had a kit for 2 batches including gear for just over $100 so I bit. I figure with the gear included alone it was worth almost $100.

The kit is a Traminer (White) and after some research I decided to go with a colder fermentation to get a cleaner end product, much like I have done with beers since having invested in a chest freezer to control temps. I've set the freezer at 56F and it has been fermenting for about 6 days now and has gone from SG 1.098 down to SG 1.082. It's still bubbling away but far from the SG to transfer to secondary. I'm looking for some feedback to see if I've messed up, or if I'm on track.

I was planning on letting the fermentation continue, give it some more time to keep trucking, as with a colder fermentation it'll likely take a little longer than normal to finish up (no rush here if it gets me a better final product).

However I was wondering which of the three ideas might be recommended (or other option if suggested):

1) Keep on trucking, same temp and just give it a week or two longer to clear up.
2) Transfer to secondary, that'll rouse the yeast and get into the second stage.
3) Raise the temp to speed up fermentation (maybe up to 60/65F)

Thanks for your help!
:unicornrainbow:
:jnj
P.S. It goes without saying that all above are done without pants...
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Re: Wine Fermentation Question

Sun May 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Most wine yeasts can't go that low. Figure out what strain you are using and look up the recommended range. Most of them have lowest recommendation around 65F. Don't be afraid of warm ferments for wine.
Effingbeer

Return to Fermentation