New yeast company recently started up - The Yeast Bay

Thu May 01, 2014 8:50 am

These guys just started selling yeast in February:

http://www.theyeastbay.com/

I've used a number of the strains/blends and the beers have turned out very good. They have been talked about a lot on HBT and Reddit where I usually post, and since I just joined BN I thought I'd share. There are a number of really unique offerings, and from posts on Facebook and the newsletter, a lot more to come in the near future. :jnj
Fermented_minds

Re: New yeast company recently started up - The Yeast Bay

Thu May 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Fermented_minds wrote:These guys just started selling yeast in February:

http://www.theyeastbay.com/

I've used a number of the strains/blends and the beers have turned out very good. They have been talked about a lot on HBT and Reddit where I usually post, and since I just joined BN I thought I'd share. There are a number of really unique offerings, and from posts on Facebook and the newsletter, a lot more to come in the near future. :jnj

How are they associated with white labs? Are they a reseller, or do they make there own yeast? I see the White Labs microscope on their yeast labels. There shipping is very reasonable.
Bad Goat Brewing

Thu May 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:How are they associated with white labs? Are they a reseller, or do they make there own yeast? I see the White Labs microscope on their yeast labels. There shipping is very reasonable.

To answer my own question, that i should have googled is

"While Nick will head up isolation and characterization of new strains of yeast and bacteria, we are partnering with an industry leader to manufacture the necessary quantities of these organisms for commercial sale"

I wonder how fresh the yeast they sell is.
Bad Goat Brewing

Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:
Bad Goat Brewing wrote:How are they associated with white labs? Are they a reseller, or do they make there own yeast? I see the White Labs microscope on their yeast labels. There shipping is very reasonable.

To answer my own question, that i should have googled is

"While Nick will head up isolation and characterization of new strains of yeast and bacteria, we are partnering with an industry leader to manufacture the necessary quantities of these organisms for commercial sale"

I wonder how fresh the yeast they sell is.

Right, White Labs is a contract manufacturer for strains Nick isolates and characterizes. So far as the freshness, it was posted on reddit that he abides by the same dating as White Labs. They sell out of stuff every now and then, so I would guess their stock is typically pretty fresh.
Fermented_minds

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:02 pm

I ordered their Saison Blend and their Saison/Brett mixture myself. I split a 5gal batch of wort into two 3 gal carboy's and pitched each vial. The blend started up great and took off like gangbusters. The Brett was no-go. Nothing after 26 hours so I hit it with WLP568 and it is off and going after a few hours. I am on the east coast, so maybe the transcontinental shipping was just too much for the brett tube...
roddog

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:26 pm

I ordered a vial of the Beersel brett blend. I thought the high shipping temps killed it, but after about 48 hours on a stir plate, it was going like crazy. With the shipping and the time of year, I think a starter is almost a must.

The starter smells great so far.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 am

The Yeast Bay just came out with some new products the other week. They now have a big sour blend (Melange), a sour Saison (Farmhouse Sour Ale), a big Brett blend (Amalgamation) and a new Belgian strain (Dry Belgian Ale). They sold quick, but it seems they got more stock and everything is currently up.

Did a large split batch of saison wort and am using them all. They're all chugging away and smell great. Very glad to see their lineup of offerings is growing.
Fermented_minds

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Fermented_minds wrote:The Yeast Bay just came out with some new products the other week. They now have a big sour blend (Melange), a sour Saison (Farmhouse Sour Ale), a big Brett blend (Amalgamation) and a new Belgian strain (Dry Belgian Ale). They sold quick, but it seems they got more stock and everything is currently up.

Did a large split batch of saison wort and am using them all. They're all chugging away and smell great. Very glad to see their lineup of offerings is growing.

They seem a lot more open about their blends. The Melange seems to have a lot more going on than Roselair, my go to sour blend. I'm pretty excited about this... If anyone has had chance to make a beer with blends I'd love to hear about it.
Bad Goat Brewing

Return to Fermentation