Ran Out if O2. What should I do?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 am

Last night I brewed up a nice little pale ale. Hit all my numbers with an OG of 1.055. Then I tossed in my yeast starter and went to aerate only to find out I ran out of O2. It's been going overnight. I won't be able to pick up any oxygen until after work. Would it be good to hit it with some O2 after work or should I just let the beer take its course at this point?

Thanks All!
mbush91

Re: Ran Out if O2. What should I do?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:57 am

did you shake the fermenter or anythign before pitching?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 pm

I wouldn't do anything at this point. I think it will be fine particularly if you pitched a good big starter.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"

-A. Einstein
morticaixavier

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:18 pm

As stated above, do not add any O2 after fermentation has begun. Next time if you are out of oxygen simply cover the carboy with sanitized foil and swirl/shake the crap out of it for 5 minutes to introduce ample oxygen for fermentation. This should give enough O2 for an average gravity pale ale.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:53 pm

I never shook the carboy after transferring and also filled the carboy up from the bottom. After doing some research I found some people who added O2 the next day and were okay. Introducing oxygen the next day also somewhat common for very high gravity beers the key seems to be not to add so much that there is some left over after fermentation so I did a 30 second hit of O2 about 18 hours after i pitched the yeast. Here's hoping it all goes well.

Cheers,
mbush91

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Please continue to post results, I am very curious. :jnj
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:27 am

So I guess the obvious answer is to have a backup O2 canister. :mrgreen: This advise also works with CO2 since I always tend to run out on a Sunday after 5pm.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation