Belgian Saison question. Possible problem.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:10 am

Just joined blog and new to brewing. I brewed a 5G batch of Belgian Saison without really knowing much about the somewhat complex fermentation process. It is only my 4th batch i've brewed. I purchased this all grain kit from moorbeer and brewed it without incident. Fermentation took off like wildfire after about 8 hrs and continued for 6 days. The recipes target OG is 1.080-1.084 and I came in at 1.076. I pitched Wyeast Belgian Saison. I followed ferment temp increase instructions and all seemed to be going well. The srm in primary was approx 10 which is what the recipe claims it should be. After 17 days I very carefully transfered it to to a secondary. 1 day after transfer it has started to turn dark brown on top and gradually changes in shades of brown like a rainbow to the bottom. The top is approx 30 or 35 srm and is approx 10 at the bottom. Nothing like this had happened to any of my other recipes and was curious if something has gone wrong or if i'm doing something wrong. Can anyone advise me on this issue?
exc500

Re: Belgian Saison question. Possible problem.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 am

Wow. That's a first. Never hard of that happening unless this is an infection.......
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:01 am

Thats what i'm hoping to find out.
exc500

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:31 am

Is the top, darker layer more clear than the bottom? Sounds like it's just settling out after getting mixed up in transfer. Beer in the fermenter always looks darker than what it actually is.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 am

It is clearer at the top and does appear to be settling quite a bit. I was very carful and clean during transfer though which has me wondering. I didn't mention though I took a gravity sample before transfer and it only reduced to 1.040 from 1.076. It tasted good but sweet and there doesn't seem to be any action in the secondary airlock. I've read numerous feeds that say pitch more yeast in the secondary and an equal amount of threads that say no just leave it alone to do its thing for 4 weeks.
exc500

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:18 pm

If it is WY 3724 then that strain can be slow to finish. You should have left it on the primary yeast sake and ramped up the temps at least into the 80's (F) and held it there before packaging or transferring. I love that strain and have brewed with it many times but it can be a real pita to finish out all the way. As an example, in the past I have brewed a 1.050 beer with this strain that took 6 wks in the primary at low 80's or so finally finish out. This was with the first generation though which takes more time than successive repitches with this strain. Over time it will finish quicker as it acclimated to its brewing environment.

So, since you have already racked it over then you have 3 choices...

1. Warm it up as high as you can get it (I have taken this one to 100F, no joke and with no ill effects) and hold it there swirling the fermenter every few days to keep the yeast in suspension until the beer dries out. Be patient!

2. Make a small pint to quart sized starter with an attenuative ale yeast (ie WY 1056 or WL 001) and pitch it in to your saison when the starter is at high krausen and fully active.

3. Pitch a pack of Brett in the beer and funk it up!

If it were me I would start with 1 and move my way through the other options when and if they fail. Good luck and be patient with whatever route you choose!
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:26 pm

I would recommend not doing a secondary at all. Even if I were doing a secondary, I most certainly would've not moved it that early. You were at less than 50%ADF & removed a lot of the yeast that was still working - a saison should end very dry & you should have been aiming for a bare minimum of 75%ADF. The color (which shouldn't be a concern in the first place) is just yeast, proteins & other particulates in suspension that are slowly settling out after being all stirred up when you transferred it.

For future reference, leave it along for a longer period of time. Those big beers need time & TLC. IMO, a saison is a little ambitious for a 4th brew for almost anybody.

To save this batch, I would definitely pitch more yeast. If you haven't done a starter, this would be a very good time to learn one. I'd grow up a nice big pitch of 001, pitch it active at 68 & let the temp start rising after about 4 days up into the mid 70's.

If you'd like clarification or guidance on any of that, I (along with several others here) would be more than happy to help you through it.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 pm

brewinhard wrote:If it is WY 3724 then that strain can be slow to finish. You should have left it on the primary yeast sake and ramped up the temps at least into the 80's (F) and held it there before packaging or transferring. I love that strain and have brewed with it many times but it can be a real pita to finish out all the way. As an example, in the past I have brewed a 1.050 beer with this strain that took 6 wks in the primary at low 80's or so finally finish out. This was with the first generation though which takes more time than successive repitches with this strain. Over time it will finish quicker as it acclimated to its brewing environment.

So, since you have already racked it over then you have 3 choices...

1. Warm it up as high as you can get it (I have taken this one to 100F, no joke and with no ill effects) and hold it there swirling the fermenter every few days to keep the yeast in suspension until the beer dries out. Be patient!

2. Make a small pint to quart sized starter with an attenuative ale yeast (ie WY 1056 or WL 001) and pitch it in to your saison when the starter is at high krausen and fully active.

3. Pitch a pack of Brett in the beer and funk it up!

If it were me I would start with 1 and move my way through the other options when and if they fail. Good luck and be patient with whatever route you choose!

He likely doesn't have the cell count to drop it another 30%ADF & I don't know if I'd suggest with brett on a 4th batch (not saying it couldn't be done, but think back to your 4th brew - you could cycle a few APA's through that carboy in the same amount of time). From the sounds of it, I'd treat it like a fresh wort & pitch a full size active starter off 001 in there & let that tricycle ride.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Fermentation