Harvesting yeast from a fermenting beer...

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Do you think I could harvest some yeast from a beer that i pitched 1/9 that is in the carboy now? My LHS is closed today, Im out of town til Thursday and I wanted to make a starter today to use Friday.
crashlann

Re: Harvesting yeast from a fermenting beer...

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Yup, it's called top cropping. Sanitize a utensil (a stainless spoon if you're using a bucket, you might have to get more creative if you're using a carboy, but you need to be VERY clean regardless). I would suggest having your starter wort prepped & cooled so you have something to put it directly into. You'll collect some killer yeast by top cropping. If you have enough white foam on top :roll: you can actually top crop right into the next batch. If you're planning on brewing Friday, you might not have enough left to do that this time around, so the starter is the better option in this case.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation