Re: Fermentation won't start - HELP!

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Did you get fermentation yet? Under pitching sounds like the problem too me.
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Re: Fermentation won't start - HELP!

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:29 pm

chugly wrote:Did you get fermentation yet? Under pitching sounds like the problem too me.

yeah, i did; a couple hours after the original post it was chugging along, blowing over the top of my airlock. i had to switch to a blow-off tube and it's still gurgling away two days later.

BDawg wrote:In addition to what spider said, another common cause of "missed" gravity in extract batches is topping up and taking a gravity reading without thoroughly mixing the water into the wort. Then, you grab a small sample from either a concentrated part or a watery part and bingo, weird OG numbers. Even letting the wort sit a little can allow it to "layer" and if you draw your sample off the top it measures low or if you draw it off the bottom with a thief it measures high.

1.090 vs 1.093 is probably just a volume measurement thing, though.

that's a good point, i can say for sure that the top-off water was not mixed in very well when i took my sample, if it was sitting on top that would easily account for 3 points. well, i'll consider the mystery solved and just hope that my 1.097 wort with an underpitch goes all the way to my target terminal gravity... and hopefully it isn't too estery, i think that's the problem with my pale ale, and with what i'm doing with this batch (adding vanilla and bourbon and aging for a year) i'm hoping for a good result.
-PFC Kragaad, Abacus 'Brewing Company'

Fermenter - PBW
Aging - Sweet Mead, Dry Mead, Saison, Cider 1, Cider 2, Vanilla Bourbon RIS
Cellar - Cherry Porter, Pale (Cascade), IPA, Belgian Pale, Irish Stout
Next - 3 Pales (Citra, Amarillo, Experimental 342)
AbacusBrewingCo

Previous

Return to Fermentation