Oxygenation system

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:56 pm

I bought the Oxygenation Partial System from morebeer, which requires an oxygen tank. The only information I can find from some googling is years-old forum posts, some about how easy the tanks are to find, and some about how they've been disappearing from shelves. I can't find anything resembling the tank I need on any online retailer (home depot, amazon, etc).

Can someone fill me in on the current state of affairs for getting oxygen tanks? Ideally, point me in the direction of somewhere I can buy them in the Philly (northern suburbs) area.
-PFC Kragaad, Abacus 'Brewing Company'

Fermenter - PBW
Aging - Sweet Mead, Dry Mead, Saison, Cider 1, Cider 2, Vanilla Bourbon RIS
Cellar - Cherry Porter, Pale (Cascade), IPA, Belgian Pale, Irish Stout
Next - 3 Pales (Citra, Amarillo, Experimental 342)
AbacusBrewingCo

Re: Oxygenation system

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:25 pm

I get these at Home Depot, Lowes, or any Ace Hardware.

Here's the link for Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_91314-717-OX9_0 ... Id=1112091

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM2 Judge
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Very helpful, glad they're still on the market and easily obtained. The limited results of my internet research were starting to worry me.

Now let's make it complicated, how about bigger ones? 14oz rather than 1.4oz, perhaps?

Alternatively, how about refilling them, is that possible and more cost effective than purchasing a new one? If not, what, if anything (hopefully productive) can be done with empty canisters?

Fermenter - PBW
AbacusBrewingCo

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:03 pm

BDawg wrote:I get these at Home Depot, Lowes, or any Ace Hardware.

Here's the link for Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_91314-717-OX9_0 ... Id=1112091

HTH-

Yo Dawg, do you need any kind of regulator for those tanks or can you just jam a pen into the pin? I'm thinking about putting it in the head space and shaking it up per wyeast. I'm very cheap and don't buy extra stuff unless I have to.
Bobbie Dooley

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:20 am

I don't know from experience, but from having a science background, that doesn't honestly sound like a good idea safety-wise. I'd also think that the amount of oxygen your wort will get more than shaking it without doing this will be pretty negligible. That said, I haven't tried it, so maybe someone who has done this themselves can attest to it effectiveness.

Fermenter - PBW
AbacusBrewingCo

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:54 am

I believe somewhere on the session they talked about shaking vs pumping oxygen into the wort, and how shaking will not get you close to the direct oxygen aeration. If I were you, Id spend the few extra bucks and get the regulator and a aeration stone.

As for bigger tanks, you can go with a welding oxygen tank. They take a different regulator, but you can get them refilled and they would last a lot longer. Stay away from the medical oxygen tanks. No one will fill them for you without a prescription (trust me, I made that mistake).
BrewerAdam

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:19 am

Bobbie Dooley wrote:Yo Dawg, do you need any kind of regulator for those tanks or can you just jam a pen into the pin? I'm thinking about putting it in the head space and shaking it up per wyeast. I'm very cheap and don't buy extra stuff unless I have to.

I would say no to this...we don't need to be awarding your the "Fallen Soldier" award next year.

LehighAce06 wrote:Now let's make it complicated, how about bigger ones? 14oz rather than 1.4oz, perhaps?
Alternatively, how about refilling them, is that possible and more cost effective than purchasing a new one? If not, what, if anything (hopefully productive) can be done with empty canisters?

As I posted in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31505 , I have the 2.1 oz one and it seems like I've been using it forever. I have a 1.4oz bottle standing by as backup.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:47 am

Another option - Welding O2 tanks. Find them used as well as at tool stores such as Harbor Freight. There seems to be more regulators available on the market for these O2 bottles for the Homebrewing world.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-cubic-f ... 92810.html

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BIG-OXYG ... P3474.aspx

I have bought $9 O2 bottles, too many to count.

Have a regulator, hopefully, coming from the wife for Xmas. Got a free O2 bottle from a freind. Brew on!
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Next

Return to Fermentation