1 Fermwrap/2 carboys??

Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Does anyone think I have chance of successfully controlling the temp of 2 carboys with one fermwrap? I am thinking of laying the heater flat and putting the carboys on top of them, then placing the temp probe between the two. I am thinking that wrapping both carboys in one blanket to make them as much one unit as I possibly can. They will be insulated in a refrigerator with a 2-stage temp controller so I will have the cooling capability as well, though I don't expect to need it.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: 1 Fermwrap/2 carboys??

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:00 am

Awww.. by the title, I was expecting a dirty video. :(
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 am

I don't know how long your fermwrap is, but I think my snake warming wrap is of similar size, and I haven't had problems wrapping it around two carboys. I try to keep my ferm fridge closed when using it, to make sure there is enough power from it, and it seems to work well down to 40f ambient outside the fridge. I haven't tested it lower than that, though for ales.
adamK

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:43 am

Rather than put the carboys on top of the Fermwrap, which might damage it, I would wrap it between/around the carboys in an "S" pattern. I would then place the temp probe in a thermowell in one of the carboys, or taped/insulated to the side of one. The carboys should be fairly uniform in temp with the blanket and being kept in a fridge. (unless you're fermenting different beers or using different yeasts)
trouble brewin

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 am

trouble brewin wrote:Rather than put the carboys on top of the Fermwrap, which might damage it, I would wrap it between/around the carboys in an "S" pattern. I would then place the temp probe in a thermowell in one of the carboys, or taped/insulated to the side of one. The carboys should be fairly uniform in temp with the blanket and being kept in a fridge. (unless you're fermenting different beers or using different yeasts)

^^ that is what I do, but I put my temp probe between them above the ferm wrap.
NervousDad

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:22 am

I have my fermwrap taped to the sidewall of my chest freezer. It's only big enough to hold one carboy but with the 2-stage controller, I can keep the temp right where I want it. Depending on how big your frisge is, this may work as well.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:10 am

good to know! Thanks for the suggestions!
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:57 am

adamK wrote:I don't know how long your fermwrap is, but I think my snake warming wrap is of similar size, and I haven't had problems wrapping it around two carboys. I try to keep my ferm fridge closed when using it, to make sure there is enough power from it, and it seems to work well down to 40f ambient outside the fridge. I haven't tested it lower than that, though for ales.

I use one of those to and has held temp down to 9f with a towel wrapped around it.
NSTNATE

Next

Return to Fermentation