bottling pear cider with champagne yeast

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:51 pm

I have been fermenting 5 gallons of pear cider for the past month or so and am starting to prepare for bottling. I have used champagne yeast in the fermentation process and planned on using honey as my priming sugar when bottling for alcohol content and sweetness. how much should i use???

this is my first time doing this so any info helps!!

thanks a lot
countrybrew

Re: bottling pear cider with champagne yeast

Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:31 am

If you google "priming sugar calculator" you'll find a few sites that can help you figure out how much you'll need to add, depending on batch size, amount of co2 desired, as well as what type of sugar you're using. You'll definitely want to watch out as priming sugar won't add much alcohol at all and since you're using champagne yeast, it'll come out pretty dry regardless of how much you add. Also, adding too much carbonation could cause the bottles to explode.

From just doing a quick search, it looks like the co2 levels can be anywhere for that style, and the calculator I'm using says to add anywhere from 1oz - 7oz (1 volume of co2 to 3 volumes) of honey for a 5 gallon batch at room temperature. I'd keep it somewhere in between to prevent over carbonating it, then you can decide to go higher or lower for future batches.
Beerd Man

Return to Fermentation