Abbey Ale (WLP530) question

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:26 am

I brewed a Russian River Consecration clone 5 days ago. OG was 1.074. I pitched a 1400 ml starter of WLP530 and had a pretty explosive fermentation. I just tested it and it's only at 1.040, which seems pretty high to me compared to most everything else I've ever made. Is this normal for the Abbey Ale yeast? Am I just being impatient? Could bumping the temp up help (it's currently at 67º)?
Scutrbrau

Re: Abbey Ale (WLP530) question

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:34 am

I think your gravity is a bit low, but it is still early. I would recommend bumping the temp up, as the yeast growth should be done. I would slowly start ramping the temp to the low 70s. Good luck!
adamK

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 am

adamK wrote:I think your gravity is a bit low

Are you already on Japanese time? The gravity is high but the temp is low.

5 days is way, way, way too early to be worried about gravity in this style. Get it up to the low 70's & forget about it for a while. I've got a Flanders going right now, not exactly a Consecration clone, but it's pretty similar. I brewed it on December 5th. Patience is key to the style. And not messing with it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:50 am

Ozwald wrote:

5 days is way, way, way too early to be worried about gravity in this style. Get it up to the low 70's & forget about it for a while. I've got a Flanders going right now, not exactly a Consecration clone, but it's pretty similar. I brewed it on December 5th. Patience is key to the style. And not messing with it.

Thanks. I know I'm going to need a lot of patience with this one. When I have this sort of vigorous fermentation with the DIPAs I make I'm used to things being further along even after only 5 days. I'm trying to be extra careful with the Consecration but maybe I'm actually paying too much attention to it and should ignore it a bit longer.
Scutrbrau

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:15 am

Please post that Russian River Consecration clone ...
ultravista

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 am

Just used this yeast last weekend. Website says 50% attenuation in 30 hours. FYI. Mine was a slow starter, but had 1-2 days of vigorous fermentation. No numbers yet. Will post soon. OG 1.082 on Little Sumpin' Wild clone.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 am

Ozwald wrote:

Listen to what I mean, not what I say!! Not on JST yet, just pulling all nighters in preparation. Mind is becoming mush, but soon ramen will repair it.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 am

With that yeast I have found that you need to get it up to around 75F for it to finish out. With it being 5 days in, you should be ready to start ramping it up a couple degrees a day.
Lupulin

Next

Return to Fermentation