bubble gum beer

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi all. I tried to brew a racer 5 clone on 6/15/13 . with some wlp-051 .Boy did i screw up Ithink i pitched a little warm .and my starter wasn't a 24 hr full blown starter. I under pitched .took 20 hrs to start. The question is should i waste my time and filter this hubba baba brew to try to clean up . Or is it a lost cause.
nitro1

Re: bubble gum beer

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm assuming you've tasted this and are getting bubblegum flavors from the beer? This isn't a normal ester profile from WLP051 which is usually very neutral. What temp did you ferment at and for how long?
12stones

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:43 am

I fermented it for 2 weeks.Its been sitting for a while in my fridge in a keg. ferm temps were warm 75 ? i know i under pitched, exp date on the vial was a week over and i did not do a full 24 hr starter , maybe 6 hrs. wondering if filtering would strip out yeast and some of the bad flavor . Thanks for replying nitro1.
nitro1

Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:18 pm

You're pretty much stuck with it. You could jump through an obstacle course of hoops to try to fix it, but the odds are not in your favor. Chalk it up as a learning experience, brew another batch & tell your friends that it's your latest Hubba Bubba experimental brew. Convince them it's good & to drink a lot of it.

For the next batch take lots of notes, pay close attention, do a starter & pitch the right amount of cells. The temp wasn't completely outrageous & likely didn't help the situation any, but I think your yeast was the primary source of the problem.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Ozwald wrote:tell your friends that it's your latest Hubba Bubba experimental brew. Convince them it's good & to drink a lot of it.

Invite them over for poker night and break this out 2 hours in.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Careful, it might lead to a sexy game of strip poker with your buddies "chewing" on your bubble gum beer!
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation