Re: Troubleshooting Higher Esters and Hot Alcohol in a Kolsc

Fri May 03, 2013 4:56 am

Ozwald wrote:That would be more of a cleaning issue, but it's left me rather puzzled. If there was a trace of yeast left in there from a previous batch I would expect that there would be other crap left behind as well. Namely, bacteria as it tends to be much more resilient than yeast. Did you try a forced ferment or leaving a bottle out warm?

I haven't done either yet, but I could give it a shot. If I go the route of leaving a bottle out warm, how long I should leave it out and what should I be looking for afterward? I'm guessing the off flavors would get more intense?
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 am

cdburg wrote:
Ozwald wrote:That would be more of a cleaning issue, but it's left me rather puzzled. If there was a trace of yeast left in there from a previous batch I would expect that there would be other crap left behind as well. Namely, bacteria as it tends to be much more resilient than yeast. Did you try a forced ferment or leaving a bottle out warm?

I haven't done either yet, but I could give it a shot. If I go the route of leaving a bottle out warm, how long I should leave it out and what should I be looking for afterward? I'm guessing the off flavors would get more intense?

Pull 2 bottles, try one after a week or so. If that one's ok, I'd try the other one a week or two after that. It really just depends what it's infected with (if it's infected at all) or what off-flavors might be present.

You'll be looking for off-flavors that might give you a clue what's going on in there. If it's bacteria, the warm temps will speed them up. If it's general off-flavors, they tend to show up stronger... depending on what they are. Sometimes off-flavors or the things causing the off-flavors can be easily masked if they're very low in concentration. It won't work on everything, but it'll make a lot more things more pronounced & more easily identifiable. I wouldn't want to volunteer Nicole's time, but perhaps shooting her an email might shine some more light on what she perceived in more detail. If she has time & remembers the sample anyways. Just be careful - if Nate's still hacking her email you just might get a picture of a dick. :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 pm

At what temperature did you pitch the yeast into your wort? If you pitched higher than your normal fermenting temperature the yeast can throw off more esters than normal as they go through their growth phase before fermentation begins.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri May 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Ozwald wrote:

Pull 2 bottles, try one after a week or so. If that one's ok, I'd try the other one a week or two after that. It really just depends what it's infected with (if it's infected at all) or what off-flavors might be present.

You'll be looking for off-flavors that might give you a clue what's going on in there. If it's bacteria, the warm temps will speed them up. If it's general off-flavors, they tend to show up stronger... depending on what they are. [/quote]

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot before I look at bugging Nicole (or Nate :wink: ).
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Fri May 03, 2013 4:15 pm

brewinhard wrote:At what temperature did you pitch the yeast into your wort? If you pitched higher than your normal fermenting temperature the yeast can throw off more esters than normal as they go through their growth phase before fermentation begins.

The wort was about 58F when I pitched. I'd be surprised it that was the problem.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Fri May 03, 2013 5:05 pm

cdburg wrote:Sounds good. I'll give it a shot before I look at bugging Nicole (or Nate :wink: ).

:lol: You never know. Something might pop up (besides some dirty pictures) or we might be right back at square one. Definitely worth a test. On a side note it finally stopped snowing long enough that I've got a pretty good hole dug & I should have the other one ready tomorrow. Your babies will have a good home soon. Unless the weather turns back all over again (it was in the upper 20's this morning). Short grow season up here, not expecting much this year, but next year I'm thinking it'll be on.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri May 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Ozwald wrote:On a side note it finally stopped snowing long enough that I've got a pretty good hole dug & I should have the other one ready tomorrow. Your babies will have a good home soon. Unless the weather turns back all over again (it was in the upper 20's this morning). Short grow season up here, not expecting much this year, but next year I'm thinking it'll be on.

And the rhyzomes actually kept for this long? Impressive! Hopefully they work out well. One of the guys in the local club here got the three full crowns. I'd imagine they're already going crazy. He's had them in the ground for about two months.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Sat May 04, 2013 12:36 am

cdburg wrote:And the rhyzomes actually kept for this long? Impressive! Hopefully they work out well. One of the guys in the local club here got the three full crowns. I'd imagine they're already going crazy. He's had them in the ground for about two months.

Yeah, I cleared a drawer in the refrigerator for them so they've just been chilling out in the dark. Haven't given them a full inspection in a while but they were still doing alright the last time I checked on them. I've wanted to get them in the ground for a while now, but Montana's 'spring' isn't very conducive to putting a shovel in the ground. IIRC, it's snowed 1-2x/week since they've showed up. We've finally had enough warm afternoons to thaw the ground out enough.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation