Re: Yeast Rinsing issue

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 am

Ozwald wrote:but still way cheaper to pitch fresh every time.

There are some dry yeast that are more expensive, but yes, most dry yeast are easier to pitch a new pack. In my experience, US-05 is about $3.50, for comparison, the amount of DME I'd need to achieve a doubling on that packet would be $2, plus time, gas, yeast nutrient, anti foam, etc., so for most people looking to pitch additional yeast when using dry, I suggest buying two packs instead of trying to propagate. I know that's not quite the same as what is being discussed, but related.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Re: Yeast Rinsing issue

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Ozwald wrote:but still way cheaper to pitch fresh every time.

There are some dry yeast that are more expensive, but yes, most dry yeast are easier to pitch a new pack. In my experience, US-05 is about $3.50, for comparison, the amount of DME I'd need to achieve a doubling on that packet would be $2, plus time, gas, yeast nutrient, anti foam, etc., so for most people looking to pitch additional yeast when using dry, I suggest buying two packs instead of trying to propagate. I know that's not quite the same as what is being discussed, but related.

Since we were talking about running with the same strain, I priced it from 11g pitches off a 500g brick. About half the price of packets.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation