15 gallon speidel fermenter temp controll

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:02 pm

So I have pre ordered a 15 gallon speidel fermenter. When I would use glass carboys I would just tape my johnson digital probe to the side and had fine results. The speidel tank is plastic, will that method still be effective? The thermowells that more beer sells are only compatible with ranco controllers...which I do not have. Any thoughts?
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Re: 15 gallon speidel fermenter temp controll

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 pm

I attach my probe to the outside of my better bottle...and it works great...not sure why it would be different unless the plastic is extremely thick..
Stinkfist

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:48 pm

The only problem I see with plastic is that it will take the probe a little longer to see temperature changes due to the insulating properties of plastic. This could lead to slightly bigger swings in temperature due to the lag, but I doubt it is enough to be noticeable.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:02 am

I tape a piece of foam rubber over the probe to insulate it from outside temerature swings. You could use a small folded towel, sock or whatever.
Good luck! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:11 pm

the plastic insulating qualities is what I was also concerned about. Not sure how thick the plastic is yet as the fermenter has yet to arrive.
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:39 am

I have two speidel fermenters, and I do exactly as you propose to do. Never had any issues with this. Liquids don't change temperatur so rapidly that the plastic would affect the readings. I'd say the plastic in the speidel fermenter is only sligthly thicker than the regular plastic buckets.
Happy warrior!
Schroom

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:17 am

I checked it out on the morebeer site. It looks like a good fermenter for the money. I'm tempted to order a 15 gallon myself. I like my better bottles but this would be a lot easier to clean plus I could put a 10 gallon batch in one and have a lot more headspace.
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:50 am

They appear to be just like the Mini Brew conicals in a different shape. The walls are pretty thick, but I don't think you'd have too much of a problem reading a fairly accurate temp. My only complaint with the HDPE fermenters is you have to slow down & be very careful when cleaning them. Typically CIP, but I've had to break down & use a really soft sponge a couple of times. If you remember to fill them with hot PBW immediately after draining it helps a lot, even if you're too tired to do the full cleaning cycle on them right that second.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Fermentation