Re: Brew hot, then cold

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 am

fistwizard wrote:hoping the op will chime in so i can pass judgment on whether or not he is actually crazy.

He's posting here talking to us :asshat: , so there's a good chance... :D
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm

My intent is actually nothing short of seeing what happens. Steam Beer is popular in CA (using lager yeast at ale temps) so I wondered what changes in flavor and body would occur if you started at ale temps and finished at lager temps. Again, with a yeast that can work at both temps.

I have made ales, an attempt at a Dark IPA, that had the body and taste of an Bock. So I thought what if I intentionally changes the temp.

I may try this anyway, and report back. I have like 5 5gal glass carboys to play with.
Dec 2012
Carboy 1- Dark Raspberry Ale
Carboy 2- Oatmeal Stout
Test-Boy 1 - Apple Cider
Test-Boy 2 - Ale-Lager
Keg 1 - Smoked Scottish Ale
Keg 2 - All Grain Smoked Scottish Ale
Beer Fridge - Brown Ale, American IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red
ShadowCat

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:25 pm

This is similar to what is traditionally done with both Alts and Kolsch... ferment at ale temps followed by a cold lagering period, resulting in a cleaner, crisper character than if they were done warm all the way.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:28 am

ShadowCat wrote:My intent is actually nothing short of seeing what happens. Steam Beer is popular in CA (using lager yeast at ale temps) so I wondered what changes in flavor and body would occur if you started at ale temps and finished at lager temps. Again, with a yeast that can work at both temps.

I have made ales, an attempt at a Dark IPA, that had the body and taste of an Bock. So I thought what if I intentionally changes the temp.

I may try this anyway, and report back. I have like 5 5gal glass carboys to play with.

I love it when brewers experiment like this... Just because...

My thought would be to split your wort, since you have a few carboys to work with, and do a side by side with a straight ferm temp, or if your system is big enough to produce 12 gallons of wort in one batch, do your test with a colder ferment & a warmer ferment in the other two. 4 gallons of wort each.

That way you could eliminate results from other parts of the process such as the mash and compare only the differences created by your temp variations.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
fistwizard wrote:hoping the op will chime in so i can pass judgment on whether or not he is actually crazy.

He's posting here talking to us :asshat: , so there's a good chance... :D

verdict: not as crazy as i had hoped :/

style and og pending, i would suspect with an appropriate pitch of yeast at 70F (which i would consider high but not astronomical), terminal gravity would be attained in a short few days, with some cleanup time to spare.

i would also suggest splitting the batch for comparison. what kind of beer? are you dry hopping? that could be an additional fun temperature based experiment.

feel free to post recipe so i can pass further judgment ;)
fistwizard

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:38 am

Well, I am just now getting into all grain. So my thought was make a partial mash Pale Ale. Keep it basic so I can judge the difference.

2oz Challanger Hops (60 min boil)
2lbs Vienna Malt
7lbs Pale Extract
1pkg Nottingham Dry Yeast

Nothing special. I made this before and still have it layin around. So I can see and taste the difference in a standard brewed ale and the new idea.
Dec 2012
Carboy 1- Dark Raspberry Ale
Carboy 2- Oatmeal Stout
Test-Boy 1 - Apple Cider
Test-Boy 2 - Ale-Lager
Keg 1 - Smoked Scottish Ale
Keg 2 - All Grain Smoked Scottish Ale
Beer Fridge - Brown Ale, American IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red
ShadowCat

Previous

Return to Fermentation