drying out a saison

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Does a Saison yeast benefit from a starter? After trying quite a few at NHC I'd like to attempt to brew this style.
How long after primary fermentation takes place do you start to ramp up the temp?
fotog

Re: drying out a saison

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

As with most standard gravity beers a starter is recommended. Saison's do benefit from extra ester/phenolic production due to a lower pitch, but underpitching any beer is typically not a wise idea until you understand how to drive the fermentation. For a 1.060 OG saison, a healthy 2 L starter would be substantial (providing you have a fairly fresh pack) enough. Let the beer ferment at 68F for 48 hours then slowly ramp the temps about 3 deg F per day until you hit at least 80F at the end of 1 week. Hold the beer at this temp or even higher (I have gone up to 95F, thought I killed the yeast, but repitched it and it took off like gangbusters!) until fermentation is fully complete.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Has anyone used the T-58 to try to make a saison? I've got one going now, just wondering what to expect. I used the T-58 along with gluten free ingredients to brew a GF beer for a comp. I'll be bottling in the next couple days, but hadn't used that yeast before.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:56 am

My last saison finished around 1.007 with a starting gravity around 1.060 with Wyeast 3724 ("same" as WLP 565).

I added no sugar. 40% Pilsner malt, 40% Rahr Pale Ale malt, 20% Munich malt.

Fermentation stalled around 1.030 so I raised the temp gradually from the 68º-70ºF to 78º-80ºF-ish...3 weeks later it was completely finished and the yeast had done the necessary post-fermentation clean-up.

I don't think you need a second yeast, I think you might just need to give the yeast some time and some steady heat.
Bottle: Lonely Beer Party Bitter, Mildly Amused, Saison Du Biz (two fermentors with slightly different ferm. temps), Noah's Parti Bitter

Fermentor: Noahs Parti Wine-o

Coming up:
Wutz

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:53 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Has anyone used the T-58 to try to make a saison? I've got one going now, just wondering what to expect. I used the T-58 along with gluten free ingredients to brew a GF beer for a comp. I'll be bottling in the next couple days, but hadn't used that yeast before.

Not for a saison but have used it on a classic style tripel. The yeast was interesting...At first very spicy and almost funky immediately upon packaging, but after lagering for about 2 mos, the tripel had a nice rustic fruity aroma with a hint of peppery spice in the nose. The T58 definitely needs some time to come around but is a good yeast for belgian styles. Funny, as that beer went on take a 3rd BOS in our local NY state fair a couple years back. Not sure how much citrus you will get from this yeast, but the spicey peppery notes will definitely be there.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm

Hmmm... it's been going for a while, and will only have about 2 weeks in the bottle before being judged... It's been close to 100 here lately, ideally would have bottled a few weeks ago, but ugh...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Ironically I'm currently listening to the 7-17-11 show with Trinity Brewing (double rainbow! :unicornrainbow: :unicornrainbow: )

Blobber called in with just about the same question. The other advice besides the good stuff in the previous posts was to bottle with Brett. Provided it takes some considerable conditioning time to work its magic, but he eluded to 'when all else fails...'

My $0.02
Last edited by Ozwald on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:56 pm

I am fermenting 2 saisons right now at 73F (on the bucket) in a 69F'ish room (or shower stall). OG was 1.060. The post is here:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28532

Planning to cover loosely with bucket lids at 48 hours or so and then begin ramping up temp to 85F.

Fingers crossed it comes out.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation