Fermenting in 5 gallon corny kegs??????

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 am

I know this has been covered before but I wan't to know the options I have. I ferment in a 6.5 gallon carboy. My fermenting fridge took a crap on me recently. My only option was to use a chest freezer. The last batch was fermented in this freezer. I just about destroyed my back lifting that full carboy out to rack to a keg. I figure if I ferment in kegs I can reduce the load to lift out of the freezer. I have seen many posts on using corny kegs. I just want to know what is the best option to do this without permanently altering the keg? Also, I was hoping to leave the keg in the freezer and rack using co2, if that will work. That way I only have to lift the keg when it is empty.
Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Sunset Amber Ale
Bottled:
Savage Brewer

Re: Fermenting in 5 gallon corny kegs??????

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 am

You could use a siphon under pressure (really low, under 5psi) similar to the siphon starter from morebeer or anything with a racking tube through the carboy hood. That way you can siphon from the carboy in the chest freezer and save your back.

As for using a corny, you would have to account for a lot of lost beer. You would probably only get 3.5gallons to package.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18873//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_65_Gallon_Carboy_
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Ok. Thanks for the idea. I'll look into that.
Savage Brewer

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Were you possibly looking for something like this? http://www.homebrewing.org/Cornelious-K ... p_999.html
Afterlab

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Afterlab wrote:Were you possibly looking for something like this? http://www.homebrewing.org/Cornelious-K ... p_999.html

Why buy extra stuff? I ferment in a 10 gallon corny and just use a gas disconnect with a piece of hose in a blow off container.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks for the help everybody. I am still researching this on the web as well. Has anyone used a foam inhibitor with a 5 gallon corny keg for primary fermentation. I saw a kit from Midwest supplies. If anyone has used this I would like to know about there experience with it. Again thank you for all the help.
Savage Brewer

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Thank you for all the help. I finally decided to push with co2 out of my carboy with the two port carboy cap. I ran a test on it today with water and it worked perfectly with only 3 psi needed to push it out of the carboy and up and over the freezer. Again. Thank you for all the help. Cheers!
Savage Brewer

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:32 pm

I popped out the gas-in poppet valve and shoved a tube, tightly fitted, into the opening. I am going to run that into a small bucket of water to catch the blow-off. I cut about two inches off of the bottom of the out-side tube in order to account for the sediment that will accumulate on the bottom of the corny.
I am sure I will lose some volume but I have already dumped 15 gallons of beer due to poor fermentation control. My next upgrade is going to be a small chest freezer that is set up as a fermentation chamber.
Yt-Toe
Headbrewer at Imizma Homebrew Works
On Tap: My Impatience
Fermenting: Irish Red
Chinook's Semper FI (PA)
Pumkin Spice Porter
In the Hopper: Baltic Porter
Yt-Toe

Return to Fermentation