Re: Ideal Fermentation temps? Why does everyone say stay co

Thu May 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Cody wrote:
duckmanco wrote:I'm also trying us05 at an elevated temp and holding it there as I've had that yeast do strange things to me at low temps.

Care to elaborate on this? I just fermented with US-05 at ~60°F for a few days before letting free rise to room temp at 67°F, so am curious what you are experiencing.

Sure thing... I've fermented that yeast cool several times in different fermenters at 60-62 (term fridge Johnson digital with probe against fermenter insulated with bubble wrap) and it seems to go sort of Belgian-y on me. Estery, apricot-y fruitiness ...it tends to cover up any hop character prior to dry hopping too. I thought infection for a while but was able to rule that out with successful clean ferments with EVERY OTHER YEAST I TRIED. I know this yeasts works really well for people in their brewery, and I'm wondering if people ferment this strain warmer than I have been. I've got an IPA in primary now that was pitched and held at 67. We'll see...
duckmanco

Fri May 11, 2012 10:25 am

Interesting. I'm doing a pale ale with Citra and Simcoe, so fruitiness probably won't hurt me, but I'll pay attention to see if I pick up anything similar. Thanks.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Personally, I ferment at the top end of the temperature range exclusively. I don't brew for competition, I brew for myself, my wife, and my buddies. I usually make fairly high-gravity ales, (OG 1.059-1.071), usually use US-05, and the folks who drink my ales prefer the fruity esters. I also use a secondary fermenter and bottle condition for a good long time, so the yeasts tend to clean up the fusels in favor of more esters. Don't tell me I'm doin' it wrong, because I don't care how you think I'm doin' it. :roll:
Beer_Baron

Previous

Return to Fermentation