Soured Barleywine

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:49 am

After doing some research and coming up with pretty much nothing, I ask this question: Have any of you made or had a Barleywine soured with brett? :idea:
I am quite curious about this. I think that it could be a pretty neat deal, we shall see, as I have already dosed it!
For those that have had one: How was it?
And for those that haven't: I'll let you know what it tastes like in about 6 months. :P
I saw that Marin did one a few years back, but that was aged in barrels, and I aint got no stinkin barrels. I may put in a bit of bourbon soaked oak, too. Not sure yet.
Thanks all
:jnj
snowcapt

Re: Soured Barleywine

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:26 am

Sounds like an interesting concept. The only advice I would have would be to check the taste a lot quicker than 6 months. Barleywines tend to have lots of residual sugar so there will be lots of good stuff for the brett to eat. Might sour quicker than you might otherwise expect. Be sure to let us know how it comes out.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:38 am

Thats was my general line of thinking. I figured, like you said, the residual sugars will be a great source of fuel for the little suckers.
Also, I just pitched the dregs from a Surly 5, which was absolutely wonderful.
No starter or anything like that. If brett is as resilient as I have heard, it should be fine, right?
Not to sure what to expect out of it. I will learn something, at least. Hopefully! :jnj
snowcapt

Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:54 am

The brett will eventually take over even if its a very small pitch it will just need more time. I have never had a barley wine with brett but I have had old ales with brett. They werent really sour but more funky, earthy in character. I would taste every month or so and stop it when it reaches the flavor profile you like.
BrewerJ

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:25 pm

+1 to Brewer J. Brett won't sour your beer per se, but it will provide an interesting earthy, wet hay, funk based on what type of brett you pitched. What brett did you pitch in your barleywine? I have brewed old ales with brett and oak and quite enjoyed the complex nuances that the brett can bring. If you have the ability, try to keep your fermenter in a cool area, like around mid 50's to low 60's. I have found that this gives the best results with brett in terms of flavor and aroma, without it running away with your beer and making it overly sweaty or horsey (farmyard like).

I would give it at least 3-4 mos and then have a taste. What was your FG on your barleywine before pitching the brett?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:28 pm

The FG on the barleywine before I pitched the brett was 1.024 and started at 1.088.
As far as the strain goes, it is "100% brett" from the dregs of this here bottle of Surly 5, so I don't know for sure.
Also, it is tucked away in my basement at a nice 55*. It stays pretty damn constant now that the furnace is turned back on for the season.
:jnj
snowcapt

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:17 pm

What up? It looks like you're tryin to open that bottle with a big wooden soup spoon, or maybe a giant vanilla bean. :shock:
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:10 pm

scotchpine wrote:What up? It looks like you're tryin to open that bottle with a big wooden soup spoon, or maybe a giant vanilla bean. :shock:

It's a yam! :nutters:
Actually it is a Shun Ken Onion model knife. Nice damascus steel, huh?
snowcapt

Next

Return to Fermentation