cold crashing

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:30 pm

when you guys cold crash, do you switch to tinfoil on the carboy mouth?

i just cold crashed an ipa while leaving the blowoff tube on and came back to my fridge a day later to realize i had just siphoned 800ml of starsan into my beer. :shock:

i guess it makes sense as the diff in temps (inside carboy compared to ambient) would cause a vacuum effect.

oh well, bumped up my volume and the beer tastes great. :aaron

tg
Next Up:
BCS Dirty Water Brown

Fermenting:
BCS To George! BoPils

Serving:
1867 EI Porter
bufordsbest

Re: cold crashing

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:47 pm

I'd be pretty concerned about drinking that beer.
StarSan residue from rinsing is one thing, but 800 ml's is a whole different thing.

Here's an email quote from Five Star I found on HB Talk:

"Safety: the EPA requires testing on various materials to determine if they are toxic or not. They, have determined that the safe level of Star San is no greater then 1oz in 3 gallons of water. We need 1oz in 5 gal to get the proper kill rate, but not to exceed 1oz in 3 gallons. Beyond this level you would need to rinse the surface. You are correct in assuming that these chemicals can be harmful. For example, to get enough kill to be considered "Disinfect, or Sterilize" you must rinse after. The only level of kill that is "No Rinse" is "Sanitize"."
mthhurley

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:50 pm

yeah I use a bucket still just for lazyness sake, I just put a little painters tape(I make sure its the clean roll) over the hole in the lid. Haven't had any issues doing that yet then again I've also gotten into leaving no airlock at all on the fermenter for the first few days of fermentation, again no issues just cover with a little wax paper to keep out the cat hair and critters.
PFC BN Army Southeastern PA Division
http://www.barefootlionbrewing.blogspot.com
BarefootLion

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:12 pm

I go foil on top from start to finish... I've had bungs and airlocks shoot off the carboy during a aggressive fermentation.. What a mess! I'm still cleaning krausen splaters out of my closet!

:jnj
Josh
Jbug

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:35 pm

mthhurley wrote:I'd be pretty concerned about drinking that beer.
StarSan residue from rinsing is one thing, but 800 ml's is a whole different thing.

Here's an email quote from Five Star I found on HB Talk:

"Safety: the EPA requires testing on various materials to determine if they are toxic or not. They, have determined that the safe level of Star San is no greater then 1oz in 3 gallons of water. We need 1oz in 5 gal to get the proper kill rate, but not to exceed 1oz in 3 gallons. Beyond this level you would need to rinse the surface. You are correct in assuming that these chemicals can be harmful. For example, to get enough kill to be considered "Disinfect, or Sterilize" you must rinse after. The only level of kill that is "No Rinse" is "Sanitize"."

thanks for the heads-up. i think what they're talking about though is 1oz of concentrated starsan per 3 gallon where as the solution that got into my beer was 1oz diluted into 5 gallon that i then poured into a mason jar. i think it should be ok, i guess i'll have a couple pints one night and see if i wake up. :lol:
Next Up:
BCS Dirty Water Brown

Fermenting:
BCS To George! BoPils

Serving:
1867 EI Porter
bufordsbest

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Clean ya right out...
But remember Charlie Talley(sp) drank the stuff to prove it was safe.
PFC BN Army Southeastern PA Division
http://www.barefootlionbrewing.blogspot.com
BarefootLion

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 pm

You're absolutely right. Sorry for that.
Fwiw, I usually swap out my blow off for a bung when I cold crash.
mthhurley

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:22 pm

I dip a new zip lock bag (I keep them in the brewery all the time to hold my measured hop additions) in Star San and stick it over the top of the carboy. I, too, have sucked Star San back into the carboy.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Next

Return to Fermentation