Re: Plastic conical fermenter

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Cliff wrote:The online price is $59.00
Where'd you get the $159.00 ? You thinking of purchasing the metal stand too?
Consider building one from wood. Cheaper and look better and you can build handles and other appurtenances onto it.

For $59.00 if you want a conical you are crazy not to get one.
It's only $17.00 to ship it
Don't get the cross linked polyethylene version, get the liner polyethylene it's an FDA approved material.

Don't buy their 2" PP bulkhead fitting for the bottom. There's cheaper sources

I got one from these guys
http://www.pressureparts.com/U-Fittings ... ducts.aspx
They took a long time to deliver it 'cause of issues with their supplier, but the fitting is just fine. Black polypropylene

The stand adds the extra money he is referring to. No stand at $59. FYI
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:21 pm

There is a guy in Portland selling stainless ones for 250.00 bucks, they are 7.4 gallons, and there is one guy who sells them on ebay for about 260.00.. he sells them in lots for a firm price about twice a month, I stay away from plastic altogether, but that is just me. And you can always upgrade a stainless at your own time. Well worth the price for your first one.
Keg 1: White German Ale
Keg 2: Dogfish Head 90min I.P.A.
Keg 3: Saison
Fermenting:
1: Vanilla Porter
2: Vanilla Porter
3: Russian Imperial Stout
4: Russian Imperial Stout
5: White German Ale
6: White German Ale
7: Janet's Brown
8. Janet's Brown
Jase

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Was just at Hess Brewing in San Diego - a start-up nano - and he's using similar plastic conicals w/ display case refrigerators for temp control. He had about a half dozen more waiting for use so I guess he's happy with them. He's a 1.5 barrel nano - just fyi. Beers were good. The only thing that I worry about is long-term issues - cleaning and keeping them scratch free.
chopper

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm ready to hit the buy button for one of these, and was wondering, what are you guys using for racking the beer? A side port, racking arm, ?
Dowquest

Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Side port that is typically found on the stainless conicals. You could add the bulkhead fitting a previous poster suggested to get the extra side port (w/ball valve), assuming you can get a good seal on the curvature of the cone.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:43 am

Yeah, I was concerned with that, along with dealing with disassembly and cleaning of the valve and plumbing for cleaning, as well as getting the location of the sideport low enough to be effective, and really wanting a racking arm type option, that would have to be fabricated to work with the bulkhead fitting. I was hoping someone had already done it. I might just use a dip tube from the top, and not make it more difficult than it needs to be.
Dowquest

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:56 am

Nice. I have a tank depot less than a half mile from my work. I can only do 5-6 gallon batches right now…..is this tank over kill? Would all that extra head space be detrimental to my beer?
Belgian Inspired

Previous

Return to Fermentation