Fermenting Dunkelweizen

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 am

New 5 gal. brewer here on my 2nd batch. Its a Dunkelweizen, after reading JZ's 'Brewing Classic Styles' I wanted to ferment at 62 degrees F. I pitched 2 packs of Danstar Munich yeast re-hydrated in about 5oz of hot water. I pitched at 58F and let the temp rise up to 62F. Its only been about 1.5 days (36 hours) but I haven't seen any signs of fermentation in the airlock. Do I just need to wait longer or did I do this backwards and should've pitched warm and cooled it down to 62F. Just don't want to mess it up. If it doesn't start soon, any tips for getting it going? TIA
BradC

Re: Fermenting Dunkelweizen

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:26 pm

What do you mean by hot? Over perhaps 110 °F you'll kill the yeast.
ajdelange

Re: Fermenting Dunkelweizen

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:36 pm

No...actually...I mis read my thermometer when I re-hydrated the first pack...I tossed it in the water when it was actually around 100F. Thus, I cooled it to 80 and put in a second yeast pack just to be safe. Then cooled the yeast slurry down to about 60F before pitching into the 55F wort.
BradC

Return to Fermentation