Mixing Yeasts

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:49 am

I have a hairbrained scheme on making a house IPA and mixing a couple of yeasts. I have a couple of jars of Wyeast 1056 American Ale, and 1762 Belgian Abbey II in the fridge from past batches. I see that the attenuation is the same and the flocculation is quite similar, as well. The temp range for the 1056 is 60*-70* and the 1762 is 65*-75*. So I can definately meet in the middle. I like the profiles of each and I think that they would do well together. I have made IPA with both, seperately and they were both good.
Question is: Has anyone done this, maybe not with these particular 2, but anything similar?
I dont have any beers with the 1762 in at present, otherwise I would do a blend and do the old taste test.
I would pitch at 60* and then raise up to 67* or 68*.
Does this idea sound reasonable, or am I just setting myself up for a big fail?
snowcapt

Re: Mixing Yeasts

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:24 pm

snowcapt wrote:I have a hairbrained scheme on making a house IPA and mixing a couple of yeasts. I have a couple of jars of Wyeast 1056 American Ale, and 1762 Belgian Abbey II in the fridge from past batches. I see that the attenuation is the same and the flocculation is quite similar, as well. The temp range for the 1056 is 60*-70* and the 1762 is 65*-75*. So I can definately meet in the middle. I like the profiles of each and I think that they would do well together. I have made IPA with both, seperately and they were both good.
Question is: Has anyone done this, maybe not with these particular 2, but anything similar?
I dont have any beers with the 1762 in at present, otherwise I would do a blend and do the old taste test.
I would pitch at 60* and then raise up to 67* or 68*.
Does this idea sound reasonable, or am I just setting myself up for a big fail?

As long as the yeast is healthy and you pitch the correct amount you will make good beer. Wether or not you like the flavors that is another thing. I have mixed lager strains before and there is nothing wrong with it, nothing will go wrong. Your fermentation temps look right.

Westco
Westco

Re: Mixing Yeasts

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Just beware that one strain may outcompete the other in terms of growth and fermentation leaving a "lopsided" flavor/aroma profile in the finished product. The next time you attempt this you might have a better idea as to what ratio of each strain to pitch to get the profile you desire.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation