Re: Roselare Yeast

Mon May 25, 2009 5:41 am

Brewed up my first ever Flander Red yesterday. Brewday went smoothly, nailed my OG and wort looked beautiful. Aerated with oxygen cannister for 60+ seconds and pitched 1 packet (1 month old from manufacturing) of Roselare smackpack. Just waiting for that initial fermentation to begin and am expecting some lag time due to no starter. Looking for something towards Rodenbach Grand Cru (in about 18 mos or so.... :pop ). Next up - 100% Brett, and Flanders Brown! Bring on the funk!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Am very impressed with Wyeast in general. The Roselare started within 20 hrs. at a 1058 gravity. At day 2 it smells fruity (Belgian Dubbelish). Still trying to figure out which method to tackle when racking in 5 days - carboy/airlock, or oak dowel in stopper. Hmmmmm....
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue May 26, 2009 3:50 pm

aleguy wrote:
HopRunner wrote:aleguy - I don't buy your excuse maaaaaan. You can get your yeast shipped in an insulated box with a package of blue "ice". I'm sure JP and More Beer would be more than happy to ship you the yeast in good condition. Besides the bacteria cultures are F'n tough! and you will still have yeast in suspension from the initial primary fermentation. Time to buck up and brew it! Just sayin, join us and we can all compare notes.

I'm going to start mine the weekend after Memorial Day. I have an IIPA planned for that weekend that I need to get done so I can drink it! Reserves are getting low..

I and others in my town have tried ordering yeast many times in the warm months, with ice packs and all. Once the temps hit the high nineties, the yeast just doesn't survive sitting in a brown truck for ten hours until they get to the residential deliveries. I'll try though. I guess I'll have to get another fermentation vessel.

I don't know if it is the delivery service you use or what, but I have always received healthy yeast from 7 bridges, morebeer, and places as far away from me as northern brewer here in Arizona, even in summer months. In the summer I buy double the normal amount of cool packs for insurance.
"Beer; so much more than a breakfast drink." -Homer

Bottled:
Aging: Flanders Red
On Deck: Jeez I need to brew...
Bellmer

Tue May 26, 2009 4:51 pm

Continental pilsner malt has a slight grainy sweetness, which (while subtle) is a nice addition to the background of this style.

The thing about using a low pitching rate is that you don't want a high growth rate. Like one person said, you're going to end up with hot alcohols and other undesirable stuff in there. So make sure you're not encouraging growth. Don't add O2, keep the temp low, etc.

I've used the Wyeast blend straight before. Depending on the package, it does turn out a bit more sour than the method with the CA ale. If you like the Rodenbach Grand Cru, then definitely go with the pack from day 1. If you want something more like a Rodenbach, then do the neutral ale thing first.

Of all the vessels I've tried, I've gone back to glass carboys, oak cubes, and a carboy cap. It does seem to get enough O2, though it is slower. As soon as it seems like I can taste acetic, I move the beer into a corny keg and flush it with CO2. Then I let it sour more in the keg, hopefully not producing too much more acetic.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Tue May 26, 2009 5:45 pm

jamilz wrote:Continental pilsner malt has a slight grainy sweetness, which (while subtle) is a nice addition to the background of this style.

The thing about using a low pitching rate is that you don't want a high growth rate. Like one person said, you're going to end up with hot alcohols and other undesirable stuff in there. So make sure you're not encouraging growth. Don't add O2, keep the temp low, etc.

I've used the Wyeast blend straight before. Depending on the package, it does turn out a bit more sour than the method with the CA ale. If you like the Rodenbach Grand Cru, then definitely go with the pack from day 1. If you want something more like a Rodenbach, then do the neutral ale thing first.

Of all the vessels I've tried, I've gone back to glass carboys, oak cubes, and a carboy cap. It does seem to get enough O2, though it is slower. As soon as it seems like I can taste acetic, I move the beer into a corny keg and flush it with CO2. Then I let it sour more in the keg, hopefully not producing too much more acetic.

What are the time frames you are looking at before getting into your carboy and testing the acid levels? Assuming you go with the carboy route. I am very paranoit of shoving a wine theif into my carboys...so I would like to do it as little as possible.
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Tue May 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Now that I know how things tend to proceed, I wait about 6 months before the first taste. Then maybe every 3 months after that. When it seems like it is getting close, I shift to about once a month. There really is some leeway. It isn't like one week it is great and one week later it is crap, so don't over do it, but pay attention.

Jamil Zainasheff

jamilz

Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm

My Flanders is pumping away smoothly at 66-68 degrees with 1 smackpack of Roselare in primary. Am looking forward to racking it this Sunday after about a week in primary. Will be racking into a carboy/airlock on oak and plan on being patient with this one. Thanks for the speedy advice Jamil! Next Friday will be brewing my first 100% Brett beer with B. Lambicus and B. Clausenii from Wyeast. Even the starters smell funky!
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed May 27, 2009 9:17 pm

It it so thrilling the first time you venture into sour beers. It is like starting brewing all over again. Have a blast.

Jamil Zainasheff

jamilz

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation