Re: Roselare Yeast

Tue May 05, 2009 7:47 am

aleguy wrote:Jamil's podcast - http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The- ... w-10-06-08

Recipe - http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/The ... d_Ale.html

I'll be trying this next brew session.

aleguy wrote:Thanks for the links. Jamil has a bad name among the brewers of my club, no one trusts anything he says. I probably shouldn't post that on this forum but it's true. It's not because of what he says so much as the very important things he never tells anyone about unless asked directly. I understand a competitive brewer who wants to keep a few secrets, especially when he has made a name for himself based on his successes, but I don't really trust him to tell me what I need to know.

First thing I would do is find a new club.........

Care to site some examples of what he leaves out? I mean, if you aren't reading his book or listening to his podcast or reading his Brew Your Own magazine articles then maybe you don't really know what he is or isn't leaving out.

I think Jamil is running wide open. He does expect you to put some level of effort into it though.
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Tue May 05, 2009 8:19 am

First off, from what I've read on outside forums such as this one, most of the guys in my club are far more advanced brewers than the members of other clubs I know about. (With a very few notable exceptions.) As I said, this is not the appropriate forum to say anything bad about Jamil, but, I have simply stated the facts about the perception of him among my fellow brewers. Some of them do follow him religiously.
I have zero use for recipe books. In the 12 years since I started brewing, I have used someone else's recipe exactly twice. My own recipes invariably turn out better.
I can cite one telling example: He never said anything about using servo in his brewing. However when asked directly, he said he used it in every batch. To me that is leaving out very important information. Maybe he expects everyone to know that already, but in my club, we are always trying to share the most complete information possible to help promote home brewing and help the newer guys along. The emphasis is nearly always on good technique over expensive ingredients or equipment. Someone is always willing to lend equipment or expertise to help our fellow members out.
This is as much true about helping people build their breweries as it is about helping them brew better.
In any case, this has gone way too far off the topic I am currently most concerned about: Flanders Red!
aleguy

Tue May 05, 2009 8:39 am

That's cool.

Post the process you use for your Flanders and how it is going. I am just starting my "Quest" for some level of mastery in making the various sour ales. Being a West Coast guy I probably won't stick to traditional styles very long but I need to get the basics of the sours down before I move on.

I am going to attempt to follow Jamil's Oud Broun process and make my first official sour. I have a batch of sour going now but it wasn't really planned. I just dumped a bunch of stuff in the carboy and added the bugs. Adventures in Chaos Brewing It seems to be working but this next batch will be methodical and deliberate.

I'm not exactly a beginner and I have a wall of brewing books and recipes books. I love studying recipes and comparing versions of the same style. I'll never know it all.
~Ross
HopRunner

Tue May 05, 2009 8:59 am

That's one of the things I'm concerned about before I make a Flanders red. I understand the Flanders browns are aged in stainless, so a glass carboy should work fine. I haven't made a sour yet, but I've been researching them for a couple of years. The red is my hands-down favorite, but I understand it takes a 55-gallon oak barrel to age it right. I was kind of hoping someone had figured out how to do it right in a smaller vessel. I do intend to listen to that particular show when I have time. Right now my whole club is in a brewing frenzy for both a statewide club competition and our annual beer festival coming in July, so every spare hour is taken up. I personally am upgrading my brewery at the moment, and that takes a lot of time too. (gathering parts, cutting steel, welding, etc.)
In any case, it looks like I'll be in the market for a bourbon barrel pretty soon. (We don't have any wineries to speak of around here.)
aleguy

Tue May 05, 2009 9:02 am

So, Aleguy, what's your club? I think you have the wrong profile on Jamil, but you are entitled to your opinion. And I would say that if you have only brewed using someone else's recipe twice in 12 years, it doesn't really hold much water that yours are "invariably" better. Were either of those 2 recipes from BCS?

I think there is no possible way that Jamil is deliberately holding back information (he's already proved everything he needs to prove in homebrewing), but the thing you state about Jamil using Servo is very interesting. Whenever I have brewed his darker beer recipes, I have almost always come out under attenuated, even when adjusting the mash temp down a few degrees. I use Wyeast nutrient usually. I haven't switched to pure oxygen yet either, so that could be a factor also. I wonder if that could make a difference?

(Sorry to jack the Roselaire thread!)
Chupa LaHomebrew

Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 am

aleguy wrote:That's one of the things I'm concerned about before I make a Flanders red. I understand the Flanders browns are aged in stainless, so a glass carboy should work fine. I haven't made a sour yet, but I've been researching them for a couple of years. The red is my hands-down favorite, but I understand it takes a 55-gallon oak barrel to age it right. I was kind of hoping someone had figured out how to do it right in a smaller vessel. I do intend to listen to that particular show when I have time. Right now my whole club is in a brewing frenzy for both a statewide club competition and our annual beer festival coming in July, so every spare hour is taken up. I personally am upgrading my brewery at the moment, and that takes a lot of time too. (gathering parts, cutting steel, welding, etc.)
In any case, it looks like I'll be in the market for a bourbon barrel pretty soon. (We don't have any wineries to speak of around here.)

Raj Apte, Michael Tonnesmeire (Mad Fermentationist), and Jamil have all figured out viable methods for making reds on a smaller scale. I don't know what you've been "researching for a couple of years," but try reading some of their articles on their websites, in the book BCS, or the tome Wild Brews. It's in all of those.
"Beer; so much more than a breakfast drink." -Homer

Bottled:
Aging: Flanders Red
On Deck: Jeez I need to brew...
Bellmer

Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 am

Chupa

Pure O2 made a huge difference in my brewing. I have an O2 tank, regulator and that spendy little stainless steel diffuser "stone".

Adding the 2L flask + stir plate for starters and the O2 set-up made an enormous difference in the quality of my beer.
~Ross
HopRunner

Tue May 05, 2009 9:17 am

aleguy wrote:First off, from what I've read on outside forums such as this one, most of the guys in my club are far more advanced brewers than the members of other clubs I know about. (With a very few notable exceptions.) As I said, this is not the appropriate forum to say anything bad about Jamil, but, I have simply stated the facts about the perception of him among my fellow brewers. Some of them do follow him religiously.
I have zero use for recipe books. In the 12 years since I started brewing, I have used someone else's recipe exactly twice. My own recipes invariably turn out better.
I can cite one telling example: He never said anything about using servo in his brewing. However when asked directly, he said he used it in every batch. To me that is leaving out very important information. Maybe he expects everyone to know that already, but in my club, we are always trying to share the most complete information possible to help promote home brewing and help the newer guys along. The emphasis is nearly always on good technique over expensive ingredients or equipment. Someone is always willing to lend equipment or expertise to help our fellow members out.
This is as much true about helping people build their breweries as it is about helping them brew better.
In any case, this has gone way too far off the topic I am currently most concerned about: Flanders Red!

I can believe your perception that they do not prescribe to Jamil's recipes, etc., as my small brew club doesn't either. They are of the mind "we make good enough beer, why try harder." Yes I need a new club. I agree with Chupa, if you've only brewed someone else's twice, then how are you so certain yours is better? I also think the point about Servo is minor at best. You do not need Servo to make great beer. It helps, but it isn't absolutely necessary, and there are a number of other yeast nutrients out there that could be used. And how your club puts "the emphasis nearly always on good technique over expensive ingredients or equipment" goes further to prove the point. You don't need expensive Servo, and Jamil has said on dozens of occasions that the process is the important part. He has even offered to take the most basic of equipment and ingredients and win medals with it, but they didn't take him up on it, which I wish they had.

Anyway...back to Flander's Reds. I am also interested to hear how you approach this, as I have my own in secondary at the moment, and plan on making more in the future since it is one of my favorite styles. So, by all means please keep us updated and perhaps we can all learn something from one another.
"Beer; so much more than a breakfast drink." -Homer

Bottled:
Aging: Flanders Red
On Deck: Jeez I need to brew...
Bellmer

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation