Re: Roselare Yeast - Airlock or Carboy cap in secondary?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 am

I just brewed the Flanders Red from BCS. I fermented the primary beer with a vial WLP001 and as activity slowed I racked to secondary, added the oak cubes, and the Wyeast Roselare blend. :?: My questions is which airlock should I use? Right now I'm using a carbo cap. Is this ideal or should I stick with the airlock and top off every few weeks?
I got a really good feeling about this beer, :aaron

Thanks a bundle
darkalex

Re: Roselare Yeast

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

I will either use the orange carboy cap/airlock method or a stopper/airlock method both with good results. There seems to be minimal, if any acetic acid production while still allowing enough oxygen permeation. Be patient, and forget about it. If you like SOUR beers then pitch some interesting dregs of lambics/gueuze that you enjoy for more complexity.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 pm

brewinhard wrote:I will either use the orange carboy cap/airlock method or a stopper/airlock method both with good results. There seems to be minimal, if any acetic acid production while still allowing enough oxygen permeation. Be patient, and forget about it. If you like SOUR beers then pitch some interesting dregs of lambics/gueuze that you enjoy for more complexity.

Some have reported that the pressure can build up (slowly) and pop the top off the cap. Have you ever experienced this?
darkalex

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:10 pm

darkalex wrote:
brewinhard wrote:I will either use the orange carboy cap/airlock method or a stopper/airlock method both with good results. There seems to be minimal, if any acetic acid production while still allowing enough oxygen permeation. Be patient, and forget about it. If you like SOUR beers then pitch some interesting dregs of lambics/gueuze that you enjoy for more complexity.

Some have reported that the pressure can build up (slowly) and pop the top off the cap. Have you ever experienced this?

I've been using an airlock, even after 6 months, there's still the odd bubble coming up, so there must still be some pressure building... possibly a pretty minimal amount.
Keg - Strong Dark with Cherries and Brett, Strong Golden, Strong Dark, Habanero wheat beer
Primary - Berliner Weiss, Peach Berliner Weiss, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglin
Conditioning - Flanders Red, Raspberry pLambic, Peach pLambic, English barleywine
luckydevil

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Err, obviously, you have Brett fermenting the last of the the various sugars/cellulose in the beer, so you would expect a few bubbles. The Brett acts very slowly, which is why Lambic brewers do a turbid mash, so there is plenty of food for the Brett. In a Flanders Red, however, you are looking for more Pedio/Lactic character and less Brett, so you really want something a lot more acid than a Gueze. How to get there without a wooden barrel is still a topic of much debate. It's not so much about the Brett as it is about the acid and oak character. Almost impossible without a barrel.
aleguy

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm

darkalex wrote:

Never had a problem with this whatsoever. The airlock will allow any CO2 produced to easily escape. Since temperatures fluctuate where I store my sour beers I see pressure changes as the seasons gain and lose warmth.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:43 pm

What is everyone's opinions on White Labs Belgian Sour Mix vs. the Roselare? My LHBS only carries White Labs, but everyone is always gushing about how awesome Roselare is. And almost every time you see a recipe for a sour, it calls for Roselare, not White Labs Sour Mix. Has anyone used both and if so, how do they compare?

-Adam

Primary: summer wheat (attempted Oberon clone)
Secondary: Berliner Weisse, Jamil's Oud Bruin
Bottled: Cream Ale, Hard Cider
AdamWiz

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:22 pm

The sour mix is a great blend that will kickstart your souring attempts with a solid blend of bugs. When using either the Roselare or WL sour mix I have found it useful and almost necessary to augment the beers with the dregs of some commercial sours to boost the complexity and acidity that the yeast blends (Roselare and Sour mix) may struggle to produce enough of.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation