Krausen that will not go down!

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:38 am

Guys - Need some advice... I've got a batch of Blonde Ale (Wyeast 1056) that's been fermenting for 3 weeks and the krausen still hasn't completely fallen out. I've tested the beer and the fermentation is complete (FG 1.012). I've tried lowing the temp down to 60 degrees but no luck.

I've tasted the beer and other than needing some carbonation, it tastes great. Should I just rack it off and keg it or should I give it more time? Thoughts?
Big Tex

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:15 am

Just rack it and keg it. Crash it down to 32 for a couple days if you can, and consider fining it with gelatin. Those 2 will drop the yeast.

I've had 2 batches over the last 5 years that had very low level infections that had a tiny krausen in secondary that wouldn't fall. Both times, the beer tasted great. In one batch, I never detected an infection. But in the other batch, it became somewhat apparent when I aged a bottle for over a year (there were phenolic flavors that weren't there in the earlier stages - & carbonation was increased but not a gusher). Since the earlier batch behaved exactly the same way, I now assume it had the infection too.

There was no real need to change my procedures drastically except to be a little more anal about sanitation. I haven't had the problem since.

This may or may not be the case here, but it is a possibility. Keep a critical eye on anything you are doing that may in any way compromise sanitation. Double check anything you are doing cold side post boil. I even started soaking my immersion chiller in Star-San before putting it in the boil pot because I was afraid that the parts ABOVE the water line weren't being sanitized enough.

Sometimes these things come down to "shit happens".

Hope this at least helps get you thinking.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:24 am

Yeah... thanks for the advice... That's the way I'm leaning as well. I'll keg it up and drink it before it gets too old... It just bugs the hell out of me because you know "... this shit doesn't suppose to happen to me!" :)
Big Tex

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Tex -

I just had a Belgian go three weeks in the primary and the krausen never fell. I noticed that the particular yeast (WLP#575) was just very gummy. I just racked off below the scum and everything was fine.

I didn't think that the Wyeast #1056 was very sticky - perhaps it is just your grain bill. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:58 am

Just an update... By the time I found time to try a couple of things, the yeast went ahead and flocculated out! It turned out to be one of the best Blonde's yet.

Just goes to show you those little yeasties work on their own time-table, not yours!
Gary
Big Tex Brewing
---------------------------------------------
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.
- ANONYMOUS
Big Tex

Return to Fermentation