Mead making info

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:44 pm

Where can I find good information on mead making? I've never tried it, but it sounds interesting. My wife's dad keeps bees so I could get honey cheap enough.

Milt
Milton B

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:12 pm

Good point, Milt. Oskaar has posted some good info on mead and cyser in the beer radio section. I'll move 'em over.
Gucci Pilot

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:27 pm

bbrodka

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 am

www.gotmead.com is the best place for online mead info.
yabodie

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:39 am

I recommend The Compleat Mead Maker by Ken Schramm. I find it to be the best mead making book that I have found to date.
Pestis

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:19 pm

You probably want to try to find some and taste it first. It's one o' them acquired tastes, and it can take a long tome to make...

Theses guys were guests on the show and they ship mead, as long as it's legal to your state:
http://www.rabbitsfootmeadery.com/
Speyedr

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:21 am

While Spyder is correct in telling you that meads are along term deal, they can take up to 1 year before they start to come into their own, try the www.gotmead.com and search for the JAO thread. That is a very simple recipe for a simple mead that is good at 8-9 weeks and gets better with time. It is not a "award winning" mead but it is very good and very quick, it doesn't require a lot of equipment and ingredients. If you like the results, and most people do, then you can try more involved recipes. I generally make a 3 gal batch every 2 months or so just to have a good sweet wine that my significant other and I can sip after dinner. I managed to save a bottle for about 8 months (actually it got lost) and we were very pleasantly surprised, it was much better than when it was young. My goal is to save a couple of bottles for at least 2 years....guess i'll have to make bigger batches and hide the bottles while i'm drunk...

Hope this helps,
Brewbear
BEER, not just for breakfast any more!
Brewbear

Return to Mead & Cider